your latest purchase

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: your latest purchase

Unread postby uunix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm

I agree with the MOT system, you need some standard of cars on the road. How does the US cope with death traps?

The wife and I went down to one car some years back after I sold the Jeep and it's been a nightmare. The Peugeot finally packed up a few months back so we thought we'd go back to two. She has a nice Megan Coupe and I'm about to take delivery of a C Class estate. Neither car is new and neither that expensive, cars if you do your homework are so much better these days I feel and you can get some good deals.

I didn't even know what I wanted apart from it had to be big-ish to lug everything around, so the Merc seemed nice when I came across it and I'm not a snob, but never owned one in my life. I've had mostly Subaru cars, some BMWs, few Fords etc even a Lancia Delta.. hahaha
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:If I lived in the UK, though, I'd not own a car.

And where would you live in the UK, it's not all London with a Taxi every 5 seconds..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

uunix wrote:How does the US cope with death traps?

Simple: we don't drive them. They get sold to the junkyard for scrap value or sit on blocks in somebody's back pasture for a few decades until they disintegrate.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 pm

uunix wrote:I agree with the MOT system, you need some standard of cars on the road. How does the US cope with death traps?

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news ... ly-safety/

Insurance costs are directly correlated with risk.

uunix wrote:And where would you live in the UK

In or near a city I could afford to walk/take the bus everywhere and not have to worry about getting my face bashed in by drunks (So no Glasgow)
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 am

DS1780.png

My latest purchase: the last four DS1780 chips that Farnell had in stock. Looks like they're obsolete. Digikey still has them, but charges ~ 18EUR shipping so I'd have to buy a *lot* of them to make that worth while. I can order from Farnell using the company account.

commodorejohn wrote:

Simple: we don't drive them. They get sold to the junkyard for scrap value or sit on blocks in somebody's back pasture for a few decades until they disintegrate.

You and me maybe. The problem are the people who have to choose between spending money on car maintenance and buying food or paying the rent.

My uncle who migrated to the US now refers to the traffic over here as "that country where they drive incredibly fast in tiny cars". And it's true that compared to the US our traffic is much denser and driving style more assertive. Personally, I feel better knowing the other guys on the road have working brakes and lights.

Edit: downside to the APK (MOT) is we no longer have "wrak van de weg" (loosely translates as "wreck of the week") anymore on TV:
Last edited by jan-jaap on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:29 am

I didn't watch the whole compilation—are all the wraks Citröen 2CVs? :P
That has to be a huge advantage of being in America: no French cars.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 am

robespierre wrote:I didn't watch the whole compilation—are all the wraks Citröen 2CVs? :P
That has to be a huge advantage of being in America: no French cars.

Back then we used to say French cars started to rust in the catalogue already :mrgreen: They improved on that, but reliability (mechanically and electronically) is still rather poor. I'll never make that mistake again.

American cars make no sense over here. Too big, too thirsty. Taxes are partially based on CO2 emission levels which makes a Ford Mustang as expensive as a Porsche 911 (if you buy it with the V8 engine at least).
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:44 am

My previous 3 cars were Peugeot and there never was any problems with rust on any of them, and my current car is tiny Citroen Saxo also practically no rust for a older car like that.

I bought the Citroen while ago to serve as a cheap transport to workplace as I have daily 1 hour drive to work and another one back to home. This car is ugly like the owner but will not bankrupt me with Finlands high fuel prices and the insurance is also very very cheap.

miod

Unread postby miod » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 am

theinonen wrote:My previous 3 cars were Peugeot and there never was any problems with rust on any of them

That's because they are not old enough.
Rust was extremely common on french cars built up to the beginning of the 80s. Renault in particular built cars in the middle of the 70s from steel procesed in Italy, where there had been a months long strike during rainy weather, during which the steel stored outside the factories with no rain protection. Apparently it did not occur to the Renault geniuses that such steel had been made fragile because of the rain. You could then indeed say that cars built from this steel were pre-rusted.
:Indigo:R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo:R4000 x4 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 x2 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4400SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 x3 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:27 pm

theinonen wrote:my current car is tiny Citroen Saxo also practically no rust for a older car like that.

Cars like that are reasonably reliable, because they're basic. You could say that what's not installed can't break. I have a Suzuki Swift that is basically the same story.

I also own a VW Passat (the infamous cheating diesel :oops: ). I'm generally happy about it, but whatever breaks on it are always parts that aren't even in the Suzuki, like "the actuator for the variable geometry turbo". But at least it fails in a gentle way; a light comes on, I take it to the garage, they replace something and I'm on my way again. I used to own a big Renault (Laguna II). Total disaster. Turbo failure, *twice*, which leaves you by the side of the road in a cloud of black smoke in the middle of the night. First time I had the engine rebuilt (4500EUR), second time I scrapped the car and got 300 bucks for it. By that time half the electronic systems on it had failed, and other repairs had eaten up the budget for the next car.

But hey, there wasn't a speck of rust on it. :lol:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Good discos here between France and Italy, nice girls, but .. I haven't yet understood why girls want to use brillantine for hair. If you dance too close, you start appearing like a firefly that shines in the dark X_X.

Next purchase: something to efficiently remove the brillantine, yesterday I went to the disco, today I had two showers and I still find brillantine on me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:22 pm

commodorejohn wrote:

Obviously you've never lived in San Bernardino. :?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 am

Free gift. Hope they fit on Bose AE2w. https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-access ... zer-kraken
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 10.54.30 AM.png

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Picked up my silver estate today.. RTFM'd the manual front to cover.. Very Happy so far.. looks like the COMAND OS has plenty of rather cool options.

InkedIMG_5443_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_5443_LI.jpg (863.28 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Before I paid for it, and in fact as we walked up to it, my 5 year son was instantly attracted to trying to pull off the bonnet badge.. :x I wonder how long it will last.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:06 pm

uunix wrote:I agree with the MOT system, you need some standard of cars on the road. How does the US cope with death traps?
somehow, we manage :D

Return to “Everything Else”