What pointless thing are you doing right now?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: What pointless thing are you doing right now?

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 am

marshallh wrote:If anyone has experience writing PCI drivers for Irix, I'd be very interested to hear more info.

I have. Conceptually it's not too different from how things work in Linux. Unlike Linux, all relevant information can be found in a single document, the IRIX Device Driver Programmer's Guide. If you can't find it there you'll have to ask your friendly SGI tech connection and that could be a problem these days. I remember we were violating some of the small print in the PCI-X spec and IRIX was the only platform that tripped over it because it was actually enforcing the spec to the letter. Since this small print didn't apply to PCI or PCI64 and I only had an Onyx2 and a Fuel to develop, we didn't find out until a customer tried to run it on an Onyx 3900 :oops: Oh, and I think IRIX doesn't like multi function devices and/or devices that claim more than one INT line, but I never had to deal with that.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 pm

European electrical outlets, no surprise, do not fit North American receptacles.
I am running a 240V line to my bench from a step-up and isolation transformer, so instead of using a more local 240v outlet I purchased a Type F outlet and carved up a single outlet dual gang box to fit the European outlet.

CGS_7795.JPG

CGS_7796.JPG

CGS_7797.JPG
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 am

Tried some upgrades on my thinkpad x220 and fried it. Disassembled it to clean the fan and re-grease the heatsink. Worked a treat. Then I swapped the display for a better one (HD IPS) and blew some fuses for the backlight because I left the battery plugged in. Now I get to take the planar out again and figure out which fuse(s) I need to replace.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 am

Are the fuses in question designed to show physical signature to indicate that they've blown?

I've only recently become aware that surface mount fuses exist. (Ignorance is bliss I suppose)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes, they show open circuit with a DMM :mrgreen:

So long as they aren't like tiny 0402 package or some crazy thing they are pretty easy to change. (my hot air station can't be turned down low enough to keep components sized like that from blowing away).

I tried an ips upgrade on this guy a few years ago but the screen I received was defective with a big white stripe down the middle and the old one went back in.

Why is this pointless? Because I have other computers that are newer and better. But I like this one, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Calling this thread pointless may have been incorrect.. anyway..

My first telecine recording..

Not that good.. but in all fairness viewable.

IMG_0429.JPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 pm

I converted one of the early Logitech serial mice to PS/2. In the process because it was easier than expected it also became an optical mouse.

:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 am

Neat! I have one of those...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Hmm, pointing devices. One of these days I should get my 3D Space Mouse going. Anyone know what IRIX software it works with?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 pm

I think Wavefront supported it? :?:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 pm

I use Logitech three button (no scrollwheel) mice on all my computers, model M-CAA43, love 'em! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

tingo
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tingo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am

Well done with the Logitech mouse conversion!
I wish I could get that model mouse again..
Torfinn

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm

My white background was built to film ThinkPads. Filming an Octane required hours of work to extend it around the corner of the table (and ended up not looking as good as I would have liked it to), while any video featuring my Fuel requires the background to be expanded in post-production, basically cropping the video down to only encompass the system and faking the rest of the 16:9 frame.

Needless to say, filming my Onyx ain't gonna happen. I can't just film it on my greenscreen, since the green reflects off the (somewhat shiny) ABS plastic and wreaks havoc on Final Cut's chroma keying, chopping like the rear third off of my Onyx in a blocky, artifact-y mess. Enter the MegaSheet, a tremendously fragile arrangement duct-taped paper large enough for a deskside.

2018-02-25 19.37.09.jpg

Yes, working with this is just as fiddly and ridiculous as it looks, and yes, I will STILL need to expand the background in post-production in shots where I want to show the whole computer. All that said, after copious amounts of tape on the rear of the vertical sheets, and extremely careful positioning of the lower sheets so that they don't curl up and correctly merge with the vertical sheets, I have a way to bring you Onyx coverage on the usual Dodoid white background!

Here's a few screencaps and test versions I have been working with today.
Onyx_PutDownMonitor.jpg
A final (I think) screencap for the introduction sequence. The background looks pretty good here, this was done with the new revision background (with a ton more tape to hold things together and reduce visible creases/shadows).

OnyxOnBG_TEST.jpg
A test of the digitally-expanded background effect used in my Fuel videos, applied to the Onyx. It looks pretty bad here, I think because this was done on the old background from earlier today (which had a ton more defects) and I didn't take wide enough of a strip of background to stretch out (note the "streaky" look to the sides of the screen). This shot will likely be re-done.

Now, to figure out how to lift it ;) .
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Benchmarking the PA-RISC laptop in KEGS. (See other thread.)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Return to “Everything Else”