About that Jurassic World thing...

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
sgifanatic

Re: About that Jurassic World thing...

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 am

hamei wrote:
sgifanatic wrote: That is the Fox News news floor. All the fair and balanced stories originate from those giant touch screens.

But where do they get such big kindergarteners to play patty-cake all day ?

I've just heard rumors, so I may be off, but apparently, mostly Alabama and Mississippi.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:25 am

Sorry, might be too old-fashioned - but what's the deal with yet another Jurassic-theme movie? Sure, I'd seen the previous three [the first one was really exciting] but nowadays I feel the concept has worn out long ago. I'm a Michael Crichton fan - having read almost all of his books, even the terribly weak ones - but I can't see how anything new could be culled out of his Jurassic canon at all. Yes, new people try to put together a fresh script - but how their fabrication will work remains to be determined...And: Jeff Blum - for me the most enjoyable actor of the trilogy - is apparently not casted anymore. :(

Prediction: the film will flop at box-offices...
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Sorry, might be too old-fashioned - but what's the deal with yet another Jurassic-theme movie? Sure, I'd seen the previous three [the first one was really exciting] but nowadays I feel the concept has worn out long ago. I'm a Michael Crichton fan - having read almost all of his books, even the terribly weak ones - but I can't see how anything new could be culled out of his Jurassic canon at all. Yes, new people try to put together a fresh script - but how their fabrication will work remains to be determined...And: Jeff Blum - for me the most enjoyable actor of the trilogy - is apparently not casted anymore. :(

Prediction: the film will flop at box-offices...

My little boy - dino buff as he is - can't wait for it. This might be a bit in the vein of the Disney "re-release" cycle... most of the kids have seen the old movies. Now they get to see something that they can call their own, so to speak. It might still flop, but they'll be getting our money for sure.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:08 pm

sgifanatic wrote:I've just heard rumors, so I may be off, but apparently, mostly Alabama and Mississippi.

That made me laugh out loud :D

But then I read about the Bay Bridge or try to charge my new N900 which was designed so that you can't charge the battery if it is low !! Now that was a real winner.

I have come to the conclusion that the supposedly-intelligent people of the US should be up there playing patty-cake with the Alabamians. At least the toothless inbred backwoods cousin-marryin' hillbillies don't put on airs.
saving to the cloud is like stuffing a donkey in your SUV for "backup" and "redundancy". All you get is less comfort and more crap.

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 pm

hamei wrote:
sgifanatic wrote:I've just heard rumors, so I may be off, but apparently, mostly Alabama and Mississippi.

That made me laugh out loud :D

But then I read about the Bay Bridge or try to charge my new N900 which was designed so that you can't charge the battery if it is low !! Now that was a real winner.

Look, haven't you learned anything at all from practitioners of the banking profession? Give unto those who are not in need. Why does this battery get so desperately low to begin with? Sloth and entitlement, of course. I can just expend everything and the charger will bail me out. Why couldn't it charge itself on time like all the other hardworking, responsible batteries? In a word: Drugs. And that sort of crap no self respecting charger should stand for. N900... The Rand Paul of chargers.
--

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 pm

sgifanatic wrote: N900... The Rand Paul of chargers.

It's hard for me to understand how a company the size and experience of Nokia could do something so retarded. Such an elementary but necessary function, on a high-end expensive phone, but they screwed it up totally. If the battery gets low, it can't charge. Nor can you connect it to a power supply to use it, it just ignores the external power. When the battery gets low it's dead, Jim.

How stupid can people get and still remember to breathe ?
saving to the cloud is like stuffing a donkey in your SUV for "backup" and "redundancy". All you get is less comfort and more crap.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 am

hamei wrote:

While really OT - don't despair. Friendly Microsoft might be able to help you gladly :mrgreen:

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:54 am

hamei wrote:

It's hard for me to understand how a company the size and experience of Nokia could do something so retarded. Such an elementary but necessary function, on a high-end expensive phone, but they screwed it up totally. If the battery gets low, it can't charge. Nor can you connect it to a power supply to use it, it just ignores the external power. When the battery gets low it's dead, Jim.

On a serious note, this was a problem with my old samsung focus also. I found that USB charging, or a low rated charger would not work at all when the battery was low. A high current charger would, however. If you have a charger with a higher current rating than what shipped with the 900, you might try that.

I know nothing about the n900, but if it has a removable battery, the other option is one of those RC hobbyist battery chargers. High current and lots of connector options to connect up different types of batteries.

This is not how you want to charge your phone, but am just offering solutions given the circumstances.
--

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:01 pm

As an additional datapoint: I've run across other phones where if the battery was sufficiently low, you needed a higher-current charger to get it going again. So for example, a friend's normal in-car charger wasn't doing anything, but the 10W iPad charger I carry around did the trick.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks, hippies ... been there, done that. Have an external with two extra batteries kept charged and have a big fat charger. Shoulda connected the phone to 460v with 12 gauge wire, that would have fixed it for good :D

One problem is, as I understand it (can't verify from personally taking the phone apart but info comes from reliable sources) the nitwits put the charging logic in software. One result of that is that if the battery gets too low to run the computer, it can't charge. Hey, aren't we smart ?

Apparently they had some problems with the connector at first which is understandable but not commendable but this is not that. It also refuses to charge about 50% of the time if the phone is turned on (even with the battery at a fairly high level). If you turn it off and plug in the charge cable, it charges. So it's not the connector.

To put it bluntly, this is total crap. How a well-known and respected company can be this fucking stupid boggles the mind.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:39 pm

with Li-ion batteries, they can be damaged to the point of catching fire or exploding if they are charged incorrectly or overcharged. to try to make them safer, there are battery supervisor chips built into the battery module itself. the problem is that if the battery is drained completely, there will be no power to run the supervisor chip. and without it, the battery can't be charged.
the designers know that it's a problem, so the supervisor chips are supposed to prevent total discharge of the battery. even that's no guarantee that it won't become totally discharged (because the cell self-discharges), so the better ones will allow charging a dead cell at a very low rate. but by that point the cell is usually damaged, since lithium cells age rapidly when they are drained like that.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 am

pentium wrote:So a preview for a movie trailer (this is already raising flags for me) came out. It's about 10 seconds long. Most of the scenes were okay, then there's THIS.

imfeelingkindablue.PNG

Yeah, sure, MovieOS is the future and everything has to feel high-tech and stuff but COME ON. At least show a little realism. Even the old one looks a bit more realistic than monkeys using touchscreens in a blue themed.....eugh.

It appears the producers care as much about the computers in the background as they do about the dinosaurs in the foreground.

I don't know if it will flop, but I'll probably wait for the Rifftrax before seeing it. Maybe it's a fine movie, but I'd like to see giraffe-sized azhdarchids stalking around, instead of pterosaurs flying off with humans who weigh more than twice as they. I guess they finally fixed the hands on the raptors, but they still don't have feathers?

Jurassic World has all the innovation of Jurassic Park in 1993, only 22 years late.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:47 am

Anyone on here already saw the movie? If so, is it ok?

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 pm

MoviesOS, who cares? Anyway it's hard to beat a movie with TMC Connection Machines in it. At least from a retro computer enthusiast's point of view. ;-) So my vote goes to the 1993 movie.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:18 pm

The movie inspired me. :mrgreen:

theyreraptorsimserious.jpg

The movie is otherwise....okay, but I'd rather not spoil it for Nekochanners who of all people should be watching a Jurassic Park movie by default.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Return to “Everything Else”