RAR rant

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
porter

RAR rant

Unread postby porter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Why do people insist on distribution files as RAR archives?

It is the exact opposite of a useful archive if you then have to go out of your way to decode the thing using some dammed proprietary tool.

RAR is a format with negative number of merits.

I'm channelling hamei today.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

Hakimoto

Re: RAR rant

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:15 am

Hm... interesting porter. Channelling achieved. I read the topic title and thought "hamei", alas it was yours. ;)

RAR is indeed a damned proprietary tool, the utility of it (on MS Winblowz mefinds) is the autosplitting into archives of a given size. I mean, ok, one can tar something up, bzip the shit out of it and the split it. It's just like (WinRAR) is the lazy man's version of that.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 am

porter wrote:Why do people insist on distribution files as RAR archives?

simply because for windows that's the most popular one except for zip that can split archives, has better compression than zip and can use passwords

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 am

Hakimoto wrote: Channelling achieved. I read the topic title and thought "hamei" ...

Sigh. When you're the fastest rant in the West, every punk kid who ever strapped on a word processor has to come gunning for ya. There's no rest for the wicked :( (j/k)

Porter, I think rar became popular when the conflicting zips had a bunch of problems. Zip is pretty reliable now but rar musta gotta foothold. Pkzip and one other used to absolutely slaughter each other's zipfiles. There were copyright or patent issues or something, so they were independently developed and worked differently ? I think there was some other stuff - arc and arj ? and l-something ? from that time that fell by the wayside (luckily). Unzipping used to be an adventure.

In particular, I remember one common zip would retain the directory structure but the other (by default) would dump everything into a single directory. And from the extension, there was no way to tell which zipper had been used. And there were some methods that one zip would use that the others did not have, so all you ended up with was a butchered archive. Rar didn't do that stuff.

The Assist wonders why I scream "back up that file !" all the time ... she wasn't hit on the nose with the newspaper as a puppy.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:12 pm

hamei wrote:I think there was some other stuff - arc and arj ? and l-something ? from that time that fell by the wayside (luckily).

ARC and ARJ are pretty old, and perhaps the "l-something" you're thinking of is LHA/LHarc - another oldie from the late 80s but notably used in the Doom/Quake installers.

What, no rage for 7-Zip? We could hate on XZ too, that's getting quite popular with the Linux set... :P

(I get as pissed off as the next guy when I run into a new archive/compression format and can't readily find the decoder. Just experiencing a temporary lack of grumpiness this morning...)
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:58 pm

lha and lzm(? I can't remember.) They were pretty common in the amiga (warez) community.

Code: Select all

___(o)=
\____)

Stoo

Unread postby Stoo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 pm

lzh iirc
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Stoo wrote:lzh iirc

yes, that was it.

___(o)=
\____)

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:43 pm

what was the follow up format to lha and lzh? there was this "new" archiver for the amiga back then, oh yeah, lzx. still around as far as google's concerned.

btw, @duck, I wouldn't necessarily say that the l** formats were limited to the warez community. All of AmiNet's packages are packed in one of them, too. And that's a PILE of software. ;)
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 am

Some Rip van Winkel memory cells waking up ... it might have been that rar makes it easy to split an archive. There's nothing more exasperating than downloading 3/4 of a 1 meg file over a 28k modem, only to have the connection glitch out at the end. Rar made it easy to compress a file as rar1, rar2, rar 3 and so on. That way you only had to restart 250 k instead of the whole thing.

Modems ... boy were those fun.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:59 am

Hakimoto wrote:btw, @duck, I wouldn't necessarily say that the l** formats were limited to the warez community. All of AmiNet's packages are packed in one of them, too. And that's a PILE of software. ;)

I never intended to give the impression that the use was exclusive, hence the parens.

___(o)=
\____)

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:34 pm

People used RAR because it was more reliable than ZIP and less of a pain in the ass than .tar.gz. Simple as that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 am

In here from early to late 90´s ARJ was the king and most people used that to share games and other software. I still have nightmares of putting something to 50 disks and hoping all those disks would still work at home. Those were the fun days before CD burners became standard equipment on every system.

RAR became popular much later and I never was too excited about it. Sometimes you have to go with the times or be left behind.

shyouko

Unread postby shyouko » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 am

WinRAR's repair ZIP file function helped me partially saved a few corrupted ZIP files tho.

Pontus

Unread postby Pontus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am

When I was a teenager we hated zip, the program cost money and didn't split files very well. Along came ARJ and we where happy, but you had to unpack each split file by hand and it was easy to mess up. I seem to recall that rar had better compression for our purpose and that it automatically stitched together rar, r01, r02 and so on.

Mind you, these are DOS versions I'm talking about and that it is closer to 20 years ago... fuck that made me feel old!
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

Return to “Everything Else”