Apple patents walking and chewing gum

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
porter

Apple patents walking and chewing gum

Unread postby porter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Apple wrote:Although man has being walking upright for millions of years (except in Utah) and chewing gum for thousands of years, Apple is pleased to bring the latest innovation, performing these same activities in a chronologically synchronised manner. Our new line, iCanWalkAndChewGumAtTheSameTime will be a distinctive brand and packaged as rectangular slabs with rounded corners.

Govt Security Spokesman wrote:Homeland Security will vigorously defend against threats to the US economy by arresting all those masticating while perambulating without the required Apple licensing.

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/01/16/327536/apple-patent-combines-nfc-bluetooth-wifi-mobile-payments/

I know there are those on this forum who will defend the blatantly protectionist and anti-capitalist patent system, but NFC payments have been around for 20 years, NFC handover has been around 4 years, backend servers have been around 50 years, security has been around for thousands of years, there is nothing new here.

Presumably the USPO recruitment requirements are the same as for jury duty where one must have no knowledge or opinion of the matter in hand.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Apple patents walking and chewing gum

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 pm

FTA:

In US patent number 20140019367, Method to send payment data through various air interfaces without compromising user data, Apple sets out a system that uses a secure element to store payment card data.

Fucking no shit Sherlock! :shock: Then can I patent the same thing provided I specifically use an insecure element to store payment card data? :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:51 am

both my BMO and PNC banks give out "NFC" stickers, I have the PNC one (since I'm in the USA now) stuck on the back of my iphone. They are about 1" square and don't bother the fit of my cheesy $5 phone case at all. I believe the technology is called visa paywave or tapandgo or something like that... the PNC sticker says visa paywave on it, the BMO is just blue with their red M logo.

you would not believe the nerds that are so enthralled by such magic as a... sticker stuck on the back of an iphone 5s... :shock: I'm pretty sure this system has been around for at least 10 years now... probably longer on gas pumps.

Point being, I don't know if there's actually a point to putting the device *inside* the phone itself.

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Sun May 25, 2014 4:48 pm

I have a credit card with VISA Paywave (got one as soon as I could) and this year Siwa (chain of convenience stores) finally enabled their card readers. I have to say it's quite neat when it doesn't flake out and say "just show me one card!" (my guess is signal reflection).

Now if only I could use this NFC-enabled card and my NFC-enabled phone together... *looks sternly at Google over his half-moons*
They've gone out of their way to make the phone able to emulate cards in hardware but they won't release Wallet outside the U.S.--I presume this is because they went and tied it to Google Checkout rather than just emulate cards (however, Google Checkout works here...)

Code: Select all

___(o)=
\____)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun May 25, 2014 6:27 pm

duck wrote:I have a credit card with VISA Paywave ...

duck, you're smarter than that ....
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Sun May 25, 2014 10:47 pm

hamei wrote:
duck wrote:I have a credit card with VISA Paywave ...

duck, you're smarter than that ....

You give me too much credit. In which additional way am I not being smart now?

___(o)=
\____)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon May 26, 2014 5:36 am

duck wrote: In which additional way am I not being smart now?

Banks are evil blood-sucking leeches. I had this fantasy that there was some little corner of the world which had so far escaped their clutches, but apparently not :(
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 am

Credit cards especially are just a deliberate bait to get you to spend money you don't have so you can pay them interest you wouldn't otherwise owe. A debit card is one thing, but credit cards are just an open invitation to trouble.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 am

hamei wrote:
duck wrote: In which additional way am I not being smart now?

Banks are evil blood-sucking leeches. I had this fantasy that there was some little corner of the world which had so far escaped their clutches, but apparently not :(

Well, my bank, Andelsbanken, has been pretty awesome to me. Being an owner-client my fees just go from the dividend, I haven't paid them anything in years--in fact I have profited (if not a whole lot) from it.

commodorejohn wrote:Credit cards especially are just a deliberate bait to get you to spend money you don't have so you can pay them interest you wouldn't otherwise owe. A debit card is one thing, but credit cards are just an open invitation to trouble.

I used the term "credit card" generically, this in fact is a debit-only card. I also have a visa debit/credit combo card that I previously needed for online payments; back then it wasn't possible to use a debit card online and since it costs me nothing to keep in a drawer I still use it for that.

As mentioned above, I pay nothing for my credit, it all goes from the bank stock dividend. Presumably I would have earned more from this by not using a credit card, but it's not like they charge a lot...

___(o)=
\____)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Ditto... I don't pay any bank fees, have no debt or credit lines. I get cash back for certain types of purchases and have a little bit in savings but not enough for the interest to add up to anything. Not using a credit card (especially for bigger purchases) is pretty stupid nowadays IMO. Most CCs will go to bat for you to the point of swallowing the entire purchase if there is a problem.

So while banks are blood-sucking leeches... but not the little buildings with the drive-up ATM that we think of as banks, but the big wall street skyscrapers with more money than god to play with?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 pm

duck wrote: ... it wasn't possible to use a debit card online ...

This.

As mentioned above, I pay nothing for my credit, it all goes from the bank stock dividend. Presumably I would have earned more from this by not using a credit card, but it's not like they charge a lot...

I know nothing about Finland so I'll shut up about your situation. But the goal, of course, is to create a society where you can't even take a shit without a credit card.

guardian452 wrote:Ditto... I don't pay any bank fees, have no debt or credit lines.

This is a basic error in thinking. Because of credit cards you pay at least 2% extra for everything you buy, touch, hold, look at, dream about, sneer at, or fondle. And this is the very least of it. The rest of the economy is strangled by finance : health care, housing, auto insurance, manufacturing, services, retail, you name it. If finance is involved, you are being raped.

Qualifier : we are speaking of the US. I do not know anything about Yurop. China is different.

The banksters own you.

http://george-orwell.org/1984
http://www.huxley.net/bnw/

Mix together, shaken not stirred, replace the evil gubmint with aristocrats, plutocrats, kleptocrats, dried-up old stick reactionaries, succulent visionary futurists, whatever you like. Pour over cracked white shoes and advertising revenues ... banksters. They've got you by the balls and your hearts and minds have followed. Add a 2% tax to everything you do to pay off the stewpid fricking invasion of Iraq and you'd all scream like kindergarteners deprived of their cookies. But when the banks do it, oh well, it's only a little bit.

And that's the least of it, the very very tip of the iceberg.

They rent you that black rectangular telescreen with rounded corners. You get to pay for it and you even applaud your hipness in doing so. Wanna see mah chains ? they're so cool !

What you look at, they know. Where you go, they know. What you think, HUAC knows. What they don't want you to read, disappears. Given a little time the biggest lies of the century are first glossed over, then suppressed from the group memory, then remade into tales of heroic bravery. How is this done ?

That little piece of plastic. Yes, it doesn't cost you much ; just your soul.

Not using a credit card (especially for bigger purchases) is pretty stupid nowadays IMO. Most CCs will go to bat for you to the point of swallowing the entire purchase if there is a problem.

Heaven forbid you'd have to use your brain and not make stupid purchases. And of course the banksters just take those losses and don't add to the costs which you pay. They are true altruists, always willing to take a hit for the common man. It's a great deal ! They pretend to save you money, then ram the big ten inch up your ass every time you sleep. More ! More ! It hurts so good !

So while banks are blood-sucking leeches... but not the little buildings with the drive-up ATM that we think of as banks, but the big wall street skyscrapers with more money than god to play with?

When you play in the toilet, you get shit on your hands. If it's a little toilet, then you get little turds. But they are all connected to that big ol' sewer pipe leading to Rome.

We could go into this for forty or fifty pages (I'll refrain) but money truly is the root of all evil. It has entirely taken over the United States. Brethren, let us chant together : U S A ! U S A ! U S A ! just like old times, happy slaves singin' in the fields .... That credit card don't cost nothin, nope.

Return to “Everything Else”