high tech, the cloud, information economy, etc

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
hamei

high tech, the cloud, information economy, etc

Unread postby hamei » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:47 am

go here

https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/

and go here

http://fedexuk.net/accounts/track.aspx

enter the tracking number in both

Six, seven more weeks I give it before the entire western civilization implodes.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: high tech, the cloud, information economy, etc

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:12 am

The first page doesn't load at all in firefox 25, although that could be due to https issues and the corporate firewall I'm sitting behind, the second page looks like it took 1 month and 20 minutes for the delivery to complete, from one town to another both in England, WTF?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:35 am

if you reload the first one you get "no such tracking number found".

Using Safari's Network Timeline, it looks like the first page loads 442.18KB, of which 280.06KB are scripts.
The UK page, although superficially simpler, actually loads 1.021MB, of which 644.63KB are scripts.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

porter

Unread postby porter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm

robespierre wrote:The UK page, although superficially simpler, actually loads 1.021MB, of which 644.63KB are scripts.

I thought that Bill said that 640KB was enough for anybody.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:07 pm

robespierre wrote:The UK page, although superficially simpler, actually loads 1.021MB, of which 644.63KB are scripts.

:roll: And we used to bitch about window managers using an entire megabyte... A prior reference here, for grins. I tried to dig a reference out of Google Groups as USENET archive, but their bloated JS-heavy UI blew up on me.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 am

porter wrote:I thought that Bill said that 640KB was enough for anybody.

nice one :lol:

but it's true, recently it seems that web stuff as well as programs lose track of reasonable usage of "indigrents".
need a fancy (and useless) gimmick on a website? you could get the job done by writing your own 5 lines function but what the heck, just include the whole jquery ... who cares about the other 723645 lines that are in there for nothing :P
need to read a config file? you could get the job done by writing your own still small stuff but what the heck, just use glib2 and oh that one function boost has looks nice too so lets add the whole boost hpp and whatnot ...

sadly it's common practice to rely on external stuff instead of thinking about how to get it done on your own which leads to having no clue about what's going on under the hood in the end. and they get away with it because even a low end box these days is ridiculously fast compared to what the average joe needs

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:30 pm

foetz wrote:... they get away with it because even a low end box these days is ridiculously fast compared to what the average joe needs

They get away with it because users don't have a choice. Even the open sores movement has been co-opted by these morons.

If I could find the little bastards responsible for this crap they'd be singing tenor in the Norman Luboff choir.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

theinonen

Unread postby theinonen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 pm

It is pretty sad when even word processing software takes hundreds of megabytes hard disk space. For example Apple Pages seems to be almost 300 MB of size when something I regularly use is less than 2.5 MB.

Talk about bloated and no wonder why people need bigger disks and all those trendy SSD drives sell so well. I blame high speed Internet connections and faster computers with bigger drives for the current situation, as those have made the size of software practically irrelevant.

Return to “Everything Else”