Oculus Rift

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
87Porsche

Oculus Rift

Unread postby 87Porsche » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Anyone here have one of these? If so, what are your thoughts, favorite demos, etc.?
Attachments
Oculus_Rift.jpg

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Re: Oculus Rift

Unread postby GL1zdA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I have it and I like it. It's exactly what they promised: low latency, and great immersion because of the wide FOV. The drawback is low resolution and incompatibility with glasses (I will have to buy some disposable contact lenses). My favourite is of course the Rollercoaster demo. But most people to whom I show the Oculus will WOW! even after the Tuscany demo included in the SDK. I'm also a backer of STEM - there are already demos which use the Rift and the Razer Hydra, and everything that supports the Hydra will also support STEM.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

wintermute

Unread postby wintermute » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am

I've also got a set and they are quite fascinating, especially considering they are currently in developer mode. It'll be interesting to see what the final consumer version looks like. The Tuscany demo is pretty cool, but my favourite is the ISS Spacewalk simulator. Would be really interesting to see a desktop system based on this :D
"Falling, burned and blinded, out of a Siberian sky."

:Octane: :O2:

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:15 am

I was just looking at these yesterday after Charles Stross or Cory Doctorow made a post about it, I think. Now I really wonder if I can get the office to pick up a pair for development purposes, or if I can write them off on my taxes...

wintermute wrote:Would be really interesting to see a desktop system based on this :D

Especially if it was named the Ono-Sendai 7. ;)

wintermute

Unread postby wintermute » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Especially if it was named the Ono-Sendai 7. ;)

That'd be glorious. I'd even take a window manager or something like that I could run on the Octane.

GL1zdA wrote:I'm also a backer of STEM

Interesting, I looked it up and then ended up backing it. Thanks for the tip.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:21 pm

The real question is, where did you get the cool head-shaped jar? Would make nifty headphone storage.

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I agree, it's very cool and very impressive for being a first run development kit. I was a little weary before it arrived because everyone was complaining about the screen door effect. It is noticeable, but you kind of forget it's there after a while. Anyway, I'm anxious to see how the consumer version turns out... 1080p, high DPI display, positional tracking (hopefully).

I stumbled across this on Head Fi the other day:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681806/you-are-a-skilled-headphone-diyer-i-have-cash-let-us-help-each-other

Kind of strange I guess. All that money and an office full of talent, and he's looking to Head Fi for help? Personally I'd prefer they don't try to integrate headphones.

As for demos, Tuscany with the Hydra I think is my favorite, as simple as it is. Museum of the Microstar and Titans of Space round out my top three. There's a lot of demos out there, and unfortunately a lot of them look like they were thrown together in about 20 minutes.

That being said, if you haven't already, you should check out the vorpX drivers. F-ing amazing with BioShock Infinite. It took a lot of trial and error to get it to work right, but it was worth it.

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 pm

And this looks VERY interesting. May even give Oculus a run for their money if they can increase the FOV.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/avegant-retinal-hmd/

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:12 pm

guardian452 wrote:The real question is, where did you get the cool head-shaped jar? Would make nifty headphone storage.

Pier 1 Imports.

http://www.pier1.com/Recycled-Glass-Head/2188209,default,pd.html#q=glass-head&start=1

wintermute

Unread postby wintermute » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Part of the problem I have is that my only machine that can do anything useful with the Rift right now is a retina Macbook Pro, so I'm mostly relegated to demos that have OS X support. I recently got a steam account, so I might be able to start doing more with them.

Return to “Everything Else”