America's Cup

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Oskar45

America's Cup

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 am

Anyone on here in the SF area watches them races? If so, some shots worthwhile to be posted? Must be specteluar, for sure...
C is opium for programmers.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: America's Cup

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am

Their youtube channel supposedly has live feeds. 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Anyone on here in the SF area watches them races? If so, some shots worthwhile to be posted? Must be specteluar, for sure...

It's emblematic of the horseshit that is the US today. There has been nothing about this fiasco that is right.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

porter

Unread postby porter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 pm

It's all poor little rich boys playing.

Unfortunately when Team NZ wins the Auckland ratepayers will shell out millions so the local politicans can rub shoulders with the prima donnas.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Sure it's an expensive sport and sure the politics are nefarious but the technology is cutting edge and the guys manning the boats are magicians at their craft. You think it's easy to sail one of those behemoths? It ain't easy!
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 am

vishnu wrote:Sure it's an expensive sport and sure the politics are nefarious but the technology is cutting edge and the guys manning the boats are magicians at their craft. You think it's easy to sail one of those behemoths? It ain't easy!

It's not whether it's easy or not ... taking a crap while standing on the tank without getting a big backsplash isn't easy either - it's that the whole thing is a disgusting marketing display, with everything of value trampled into the mud.

The America was an ocean-going boat. The original race was offshore (how far is it to the Isle of Wight and back ?) and it was intended to always be an ocean-going race. The Deed of Trust specifically bans locations within six miles of any headlands or shore. (Larry conveniently ignored that but he's wealthy and far above the little people, so he can do whatever he likes !)

In the past, sportsmanship was important. Sir Thomas Lipton won the cup at least once, was cheated out of it, yet never voiced a word of complaint. I say, old chap, that's just not proper ! Well, now we have the mannerless asshole of the world in charge who plays every dirtball game he can. He's a crook and cheat who doesn't even pay his strip-club bills.

Even Ted Turner was a model of genteel comportment compared to this dickwad (Ted ! Jane ! get a room !)

But what can you expect from a country that thinks an Olympic basketball team composed of NBA players is a "Dream Team" ?

Larry-baby hasn't got a fucking thing to say about how it is run, the yacht club is the deciding body for everything ... so Larry-sweetums went and bought hisself a yacht club and stuffed it with boot-licking toadies. Nice.

Everything Larry did in relation to San Francisco was nothing but an enormous lie - "It's going to be huge ! this will bring a billion dollars to San Francisco !" ... and in return, I'll take that hundred year lease of the waterfront for sixty-seven bucks, thank you so much. If it weren't for the one hated Communist on the Board of Supervisors, San Francisco would have deeded that shithead the entire town plus the Golden Gate bridge for a chance to grovel at the feet of the rich and famous.. They were falling all over themselves for the honor of holding Larry's peepee while he went tinkle.

Of course, three boats showed up, the "racing" is shit, and the city is going to lose its ass plus they will still have those wonderful el-cheapo leases to Larry-honey for the next hundred years to bring in lots and lots of tax revenue ... you will never ever see an honest accounting of this fiasco, cuz the Communist supervisor (who seems to have been the only one of the fiscally responsible bunch who could add and subtract ?) is no longer a supe.

Yeah, it's pretty much symbolic of the entire United States now. The 1%-ers (new meaning to that phrase :)) do whatever they damned well please, the ex-middle class gets to pay for it, and we're all supposed to ooh and aah and bow down at how innovative, visionary, skilled, glorious and wonderful these enormous-egoed, worthless bastards running the US are.

The useless fucker didn't even invent the relational database, he stole it from IBM. He's nothing but a con-man and shyster.
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 am

Gentlemen, there seems to be a slight communication problem here. I'd only asked whether some SF area based Nekochaners watch the races. I'd not asked for vitriolic comments whether the race is emblematic of the horseshit that is the US today, or whether poor little rich boys are playing. Apparently none of you is SF based - so you should really have kept quiet...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:20 pm

When I was younger I used to race lasers... I think my favorite boat was "Il Mostro" (probably italian?) because it was black and had a huge cat on the sail. I stopped following it (mostly) when they switched away from monohulls...

Of course, if anybody does have photos, feel free to share.

The useless fucker didn't even invent the relational database, he stole it from IBM. He's nothing but a con-man and shyster.
With such vitriol, I would have guessed he stole it from you. Do you know what cheers me up? Playing with bunnies. You should try it.
http://vimeo.com/74898439
https://vimeo.com/74898882

p.s. Tried to get maradona ( :Onyx: ) going tonight. For the first time in many years and as many moves. After an hour and a half I coax the damn thing to life, complete with dual-monitors, and it turns out the mouse (or ps/2 adapter) is kaput. :(

The sad part is, I know it was working before I got the graphics going (just the big red X split between two screens), so I've borked something in the softwares. Ah well, will try again tomorrow :)

porter

Unread postby porter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Apparently none of you is SF based - so you should really have kept quiet...

It's plastered all over all TV channels here and every news report. It's almost like being there.......

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Apparently none of you is SF based - so you should really have kept quiet...

As a person who lived literally within spitting distance of the Bay for 49 years and owned three sailboats, lived on two of them, spent twenty years on the Saturday night 'eat on Jim's 65' ferro-cement ketch, Fred's 40' double-ended cutter or my 52' 1920 Stone-built ex-Transpac yawl' circuit, maybe I might have some knowledge of SF and sailing. Maybe.

The entire Larry Ellison thing is nothing but a travesty.

guardian452 wrote:With such vitriol, I would have guessed he stole it from you.

He did, sybr. These worthless shitforbrains "job creators" and "investors" stole an entire society. You guys will never get it back, and never even know what you lost. Sad.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I dunno, the relational database is just a logical extension of the linked list which has been around since the 50's. And IBM has made, and continues to make, a lot of money from DB2. Nerd alert: I was a subscriber to IBM's DB2 magazine for many years... :P
Project:
Plan:

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 am

porter wrote:

It's plastered all over all TV channels here and every news report. It's almost like being there.......
I beg to differ. Watching TV, for me, is no substitute for being there on location. E.g., following the Australian Open or the GP of China on TV is simply boring.

porter

Unread postby porter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:18 pm

It's over! The come-back kid, came back.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 am

^
Yeah, ORACLE rules!

Return to “Everything Else”