Has The ISS Any External Light Signals At All?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
GeneratriX

Has The ISS Any External Light Signals At All?

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Could it be possible?
I mean, something like:

W - X -X - X - W
X - X -X - W - X
W - X -R - X - X
W - X -R - X - W

And so on?

...being:

R: Red
W: White
X: Light Off

...or I'm just confusing it with some commercial airline? :)
It is not like I have the time to look at the sky, but when I work outside I could not avoid to look at things like that!

guardian452

Re: Has The ISS Any External Light Signals At All?

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:46 pm

No. Due to the altitude it would have to be a pretty powerful light for you to see it at all!

It flew overhead in 08/2010 such that it reflected the sun's light. I took a picture as it went across the sky, this is a 5 second exposure (but I have just a P&S cyber-shot and braced the camera against a mailbox, so it's not exactly high-quality astrophotograpy here!)
Attachments
46648_1170977649888_1691423668_311328_4200411_n.jpg

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 am

guardian452 wrote:No. Due to the altitude it would have to be a pretty powerful light for you to see it at all!

It flew overhead in 08/2010 such that it reflected the sun's light. I took a picture as it went across the sky, this is a 5 second exposure (but I have just a P&S cyber-shot and braced the camera against a mailbox, so it's not exactly high-quality astrophotograpy here!)

I thought about that, but I had to ask anyway! :)
...and talking about that, I'm every day more amazed by the new air-tech around, what a silent the new reaction planes are. That sight was right into the limit, so, I was not sure what it was.

Nice picture! I've tried a few times to do similiar things too, with about same kind of results. It is too difficult to get it right, even if you use a tripod, because the thing is orbiting.

Greetz!
Diego

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 pm

guardian452 wrote:It flew overhead in 08/2010 such that it reflected the sun's light.

By the way, if you happen to like things like that, then there is some "Twitter Must" for you:

Twisst ISS Alerts

...just follow the guy and you'll be adviced before the ISS crosses your air space!
Anyway, they don't give any hints about how to avoid confussing it with an airline flight... :P

Return to “Everything Else”