Buy my book

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
User avatar
PymbleSoftware
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm
Location: P.O. Box 121, Pymble, Sydney, NSW 2073, Australia.
Contact:

Buy my book

Unread postby PymbleSoftware » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 am

A publisher begged me to write it.. some chapters had gone through as many as 6 drafts and editorial reviews, and I had completed the book about 200 pages, code samples, images and everything.. they found that the original book on the topic by a handful of authors only sold 88 copies worldwide... and they dropped it like a hot potato...

Sample: http://pymblesoftware.com/book/bada-short.pdf
Link: http://pymblesoftware.com/book/

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware

User avatar
smj
Posts: 1453
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Contact:

Re: Buy my book

Unread postby smj » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

Well that sucks, after all the effort. But to josehill's point, you still did something very few people do and should take some satisfaction from that.

If they dropped it, I hope the publishing rights revert to you. I'd probably think about publishing it through Amazon, as an eBook most likely, so that after all this you can at least say it was published -- and you never know, it might even sell if it gets out there.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

User avatar
josehill
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3035
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: New England, USA
Contact:

Re: Buy my book

Unread postby josehill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 am

smj wrote:If they dropped it, I hope the publishing rights revert to you. I'd probably think about publishing it through Amazon, as an eBook most likely, so that after all this you can at least say it was published -- and you never know, it might even sell if it gets out there.

Indeed. A lot of times books that won't sell at all as $20+ paper books will do quite well as 99c-$5 eBooks.
Again, it is quite an accomplishment to complete a book. Knowing Regan's standards, I'm sure it is very well done.

User avatar
PymbleSoftware
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm
Location: P.O. Box 121, Pymble, Sydney, NSW 2073, Australia.
Contact:

Re: Buy my book

Unread postby PymbleSoftware » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:08 pm

smj wrote:Well that sucks, after all the effort. But to josehill's point, you still did something very few people do and should take some satisfaction from that.

If they dropped it, I hope the publishing rights revert to you. I'd probably think about publishing it through Amazon, as an eBook most likely, so that after all this you can at least say it was published -- and you never know, it might even sell if it gets out there.


Thanks.

I have an email from the publisher stating that the property rights revert back to me. I've sold it already directly off my site... I put it up in forums more closely related to the topic. I made it available on Kindle but a lot of direct publishing stuff is rubbish.. vanity publishing... give us $399 to $999 and we will turn your word document into an ebook making it look like rubbish in the process... (er no thanks).. and the commision based free stuff mangle your book if you provide a PDF amd their sites crash about 150 pages into "processing" (whatever that is..)..

I had to finish it.. I needed the closure... I was finally an early adopter of something, in at the ground floor and it failed to take off... :roll:


josehill wrote:
smj wrote:If they dropped it, I hope the publishing rights revert to you. I'd probably think about publishing it through Amazon, as an eBook most likely, so that after all this you can at least say it was published -- and you never know, it might even sell if it gets out there.

Indeed. A lot of times books that won't sell at all as $20+ paper books will do quite well as 99c-$5 eBooks.
Again, it is quite an accomplishment to complete a book. Knowing Regan's standards, I'm sure it is very well done.


Thanks.

I am not sure about pricing.. Some people state that a certain price range does well... Too cheap and people don't trust it and too much is ... well ... too much. I hope it is a reasonable price.

Some of it I look back on and say "thats real quality" and other bits... I look back on and say, I was in a real hurry to draw a line in the sand finish it off.I hope that there are more of the former and less of the latter.


R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware

hamei
Posts: 10072
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Buy my book

Unread postby hamei » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm

PymbleSoftware wrote: ... and the commision based free stuff mangle your book if you provide a PDF amd their sites crash about 150 pages into "processing" (whatever that is..)..

InDesign CS 4 supposedly has a lot of features specifically oriented to e-book presentations. I can't claim to be a pro user but InDesign is a lot easier to work with than Framemaker, at least for the casual user. And from a little reading, electronic books have different requirements than printed books.

About distribution, it's sort of the same old problem. Here in China it would be easy - we have zhifubao or you can send money from account to account very very easily. But in other places, how to pay ? Paypal Sucks (tm), Western Union makes no sense for a five dollar purchase, and checks, money orders, all that are a pain in the arse for small sales. So once again, people are stuck with the Big Retailers like Apple and Amazon. So much for the Internet revolution. New stuff, same as the old stuff. Nothing is really going to change until the US gets its act together and makes small online purchases practical, i.e. on the Twelfth of Never. Zhifubao would be regulated out of existence in a heartbeat in the West because your Masters own you, lock stock and barrel. Sad.


Return to “Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests