Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Post subject: re-released music
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 pm 

There's a pretend-foreigner place near me that plays a lot of old music. Some of it is correct but I swear that some is too fast. Either my brain has gone soft (possible) or when they "remaster" some older recordings, they speed it up. (There are tonal differences also but that could be the "tasteful" equalizer settings of the local establishment. Or maybe not.) The differences are not enough to be really obvious but are enough to make the songs sound wrong.

Has anyone else noticed that some digital releases of old albums have been messed with ? Or is it my imagination ?

Post subject: Re: re-released music
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 pm 

How far back are we talking?

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds and Doors - LA Woman DVD-Audio releases I have considerable differences in tone, but I think for the better, a lot of that simply might be the 5.1 24bit/96hz vs 2.0 16bit/44hz. The recent Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Remasters are others that I think kept best of the originals and made them better.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 pm 

Adrenaline wrote:
How far back are we talking?

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds and Doors - LA Woman DVD-Audio releases I have considerable differences in tone, but I think for the better, a lot of that simply might be the 5.1 24bit/96hz vs 2.0 16bit/44hz. The recent Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Remasters are others that I think kept best of the originals and made them better.

I've noticed it a lot but what really stood out yesterday was the difference between Paint It, Black on 12" vinyl Aftermath and digital.

boomboomboomboomboomboom boomboom
IseeareddoorandIwanttopaintitblack
nocolorsanymoreiwanthemtoturnblack
Iwantaseeitpaintedpaintedpaintedpaintedblack

It's all rushed as hell. The vinyl had a distinctive pace that started out almost slow and ominous and built to a crescendo of despair and fury, like a cavalry charge. This thing is terrible, the Stones are just in a rush to get the damned thing over with. Not right at all. This thing is crap.

I'm wondering if the record company did this or if it's just a bad homemade encoding ? (doubt that, it takes some skill to make a subtle change like that) ... or what. But I really doubt that I could totally forget the pace of a song that I've listened to 68,000 times. And it's always sped up, never slowed down. Or it's just ... not right. Maybe it's me, but .... where's Sky ? He's the audio enthusiast here ...

You're right about the differences in tone - the first Dylan album on vinyl was his best one but when it came out on CD, it was dead, flat, crap. Terrible job by the record company. But I'm talking about pacing here. If what I'm hearing is correct, they have to be purposely speeding some of these songs up. Different problem. And awful.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm 

Adrenaline wrote:
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Remasters.

No. They compressed it heavily, it lost its identity. It's one of the worst remasters i've ever heard. I hope they will do a better job re-releasing The Fragile.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 am 

GL1zdA wrote:
Adrenaline wrote:
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Remasters.

No. They compressed it heavily, it lost its identity. It's one of the worst remasters i've ever heard. I hope they will do a better job re-releasing The Fragile.

Really? Maybe its my receiver making up for it, the last time I remember hearing Pretty Hate Machine it sounded like it was recorded back in the 80s and had that 80s production quality with the instruments and vocals. I'l do a side by side today.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm 

hamei wrote:
..Or is it my imagination ?

no it's not the musicbox inside your head, it's the whole widget in that bar. can they make a decent drink or do they compress and serve?

hamei wrote:
...could be the "tasteful" equalizer settings of the local establishment.

hamei wrote:
It's all rushed as hell. The vinyl had a distinctive pace that started out almost slow and ominous and built to a crescendo...

most likely arm in arm with an "auto bpm" feature of some sort. even a decent dj is hard to find. some apps press the wrong buttons on their own. what happens when the app tries to match a 60bpm song with a 80bpm one is what you hear. auto-magic-deluxe-wow!

if the owner is a nice guy, save your+his ears and turn it off

hamei wrote:
...it was dead, flat, crap.

GL1zdA wrote:
They compressed it heavily, it lost its identity.

re-released/mastered music falls into charybdis together with photos/movies these days. compression gives us protability and nothing else. hmm a flat, white-line-in-the-middle-of-the-road average nothing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm 

Quote:
It's all rushed as hell. The vinyl had a distinctive pace that started out almost slow and ominous and built to a crescendo of despair and fury, like a cavalry charge. This thing is terrible, the Stones are just in a rush to get the damned thing over with. Not right at all. This thing is crap.
I listened to both versions (I have a copy on cassette tape of all things, probably the original recordings) Thank goodness I have the mighty infinity kappa 9001 to play it on: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16725581&p=7342106#p7342106

If this is the new version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv65gOE8QNY, I'll agree it's a bit rushed; but the tempo feels almost the same. Most likely they couldn't find the proper stuff to smoke when they made the new record.

Here is an old record so you can compare directly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9DDpmyPZZA

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:52 am 

guardian452 wrote:
If this is the new version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv65gOE8QNY, I'll agree it's a bit rushed; but the tempo feels almost the same. Most likely they couldn't find the proper stuff to smoke when they made the new record.

Quaaludes are hard to get these days :D

I think fu is probably right. It's not just this recording that's not right, it's quite a few. An automated dj screwing up would explain the problem. Or for all I know, they set up the roboJ on purpose to play faster. Maybe they think it sounds cool or something.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 am 

nice gheto blaster syb :)

hamei wrote:
Maybe they think it sounds cool or something.

speak of the devil...

a kid told me that her laptop sports a "see it all mode" or something . when the battery goes low while watching a movie, the app starts playing the movie faster in order to make it to the end.

oh zeus, it's the death of the pause as we know it

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm 

From the page on dynamic compression http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_ra ... production

Quote:
Compression is often used in music production to make performances more consistent in dynamic range so that they "sit" in the mix of other instruments better and maintain consistent attention from the listener. Vocal performances in rock music or pop music are usually compressed in order to make them stand out from the surrounding instruments and to add to the clarity of the vocal performance.
Those months of hundred-hour rehearsals (per week) and years spent on technique seem kinda wasted now...

I'm sure the same is done nowadays with video too, but I'm not familiar with movie terminology...

OTOH it sure is nice nowadays to be able to make a record with my laptop (which has a mike built-in) and share it with a handheld device, and have it be reasonably intelligible.

Quote:
a kid told me that her laptop sports a "see it all mode" or something . when the battery goes low while watching a movie, the app starts playing the movie faster in order to make it to the end.

oh zeus, it's the death of the pause as we know it
http://zenhabits.net/pause/