My new computer room

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Pontus

Re: My new computer room

Unread postby Pontus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46 am

I know the feeling. I'm working hard now to get my computer room in order. Luckily all of my racks are on wheels but there is quick buildup of clutter and something simple as routing a new network cable takes lots of time an energy :)

Keep it up, the end result will be awesome, judging from earlier pictures :)
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Finished the floor :D

Last tile was behind the Onyx2. That's close to the entrance of the room, where there cable gutter is not accessible, there's just two pipes:
DSC_8202.JPG

Here the finished floor tile is in place, and the black cap closes the hole to guide cables in and out.
DSC_8203.JPG

With the Onyx2 in place:
DSC_8204.JPG

Normally the Fuel sits next to the Onyx2 and all cables are out of sight:
DSC_8206.JPG

Never mind the mess *on* the desk, I didn't clean up after working on the floor... :oops:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Some more. The Black&Decker in the foreground is what I used to make the 60mm holes in the floor.
DSC_8194.JPG

And this is what it looks like now, with all the tools gone again:
DSC_8210.JPG

The stereo has it's own entry to the cable gutter. Which is good because the speaker cables are as fat as a garden hose...

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Finally (for now), the uplink to the rest of the house. The RJ45 outlets were crap quality (there's one on the floor) so I replaced them with a nice, solid, shielded ones. The photo was taken up close and at an angle so it looks all crooked when it isn't.
DSC_8191.JPG
DSC_8193.JPG

I didn't think this through enough though. As you can see there's an access hole to the cable gutter there, and this is the uplink to my utility cabinet, where the router is. Any cables here are permanent. From the other side of that was, there are two 60mm pipes going to the utility cabinet, to make it easy to run lots of cable. I should have told the construction people to run at least one of these pipes though the wall, into the cable gutter. Ah well...

Normally this is mostly hidden from view by the server rack:
DSC_8197.JPG

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Excellent work! I can only dream of a room like this for my SGIs. I have a basement room I call my lab, but it's a bit to small to lay anything out nicely and I'm certainly not going to toss anything out to make room! I guess some clever rearrangement (and removal of the disused shower from when it was a sauna) could help it, but I don't know where I would find the time.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Pontus

Unread postby Pontus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 am

Absolutely beautiful! It's an inspiration for sure.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Believe it or not, but up to now wiring in the 'new' computer room has been ad-hoc. Only a few systems were properly wired, for the rest I simply ran some cables whenever I wanted to use them. This is now changing :)

The reason I didn't do this before is simple: it is a *massive* job. There are some 25 systems, and they're up to 20m away from the equipment rack where all the switches, console server, FDDI concentrator, SAN switch etc live. I want a serial (console) cable to every SGI, plus ethernet, many have FDDI and/or FC. By the time I'm done I will have installed more than 700m of network/serial cable, plus 31 fibers of 10 ~ 20m each...
DSC_1192.JPG

In order to keep this somewhat manageable, I installed a patch bracket on the wall behind the equipment rack to terminate all the wiring to the room. The ethernet cables may end in a 19" patch strip there, on the other end they are simply plugged into systems. So they have to be flexible (stranded) cables, which in turn rules out the usual LSA patch strips. That's why you see a 1U 19" keystone panel with RJ45 couplers installed. The patch strip currently installed services one 'leg' of the room, mostly my desk area. There will be a 2nd, fully populated, 48port panel above it for the other leg of the room where the workstation rack and the desksides are. The top 2U are reserved for one LC and one SC fiber patch panel, for Fibre Channel and FDDI.
DSC_1193.JPG

This would obviously not be suitable in a business environment: things are cramped and hard to reach. I try to compact things, at the expense of accessibility if I need to.

With the floor panels in the front back in place, it cleans up nicely:
DSC_1196.JPG

The four network cables in the foreground are uplinks to the rest of the house. Actually, only one is network, two are console cables for my router and web server, and one is currently unused. There are quite a few spare cables in my design, I don't want to have to redo this anytime soon.

The photo below was taken under my desk, behind the Onyx2. One bundle goes to the Onyx2, the rest to the Octane2 and Tezro on the desk. Excess cable length is easily hidden out of sight in the cable gutter (once the lid is on). No spaghetti behind systems :)
DSC_1194.JPG

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 pm

I really appreciate the professional way in which you approach to things, that’s a really neat, professional job! (It couldn’t be done any better.)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 am

Well, this is not my first computer room. Like many people I've used an attic or a spare bedroom for my computers before, and like many I've had to give up that room when we had kids. Unlike many, I had the opportunity to build a new room from scratch, so I've had a chance to do it 'right' once and for all.

Many of the choices I made were based on what I *didn't* want any more, but the solutions are often somewhere halfway between a profession installation and an ad-hoc hobbyist approach. I didn't know how this would play out, which is a pretty big gamble if you know what construction costs. Frankly this is the main reason I created this thread. Maybe it will be of some use to someone else, or at least you can avoid my mistakes.

Given the number of systems I have, a lot of related equipment (switches, etc) is necessary, but I don't have a data center fetish. I didn't want a raised floor for example. I didn't want bundles of hundreds of meters of cable spaghetti littering the room either. I could have put some small switches in corners left and right which would have avoided many meters of network cable but would not have solved the problem of all those FC, FDDI and serial cables. I wanted normal floors and normal walls. So far I think I did the right thing, though there are a few minor things I would do different today. For example, had I known about the patch bracket earlier, I would have told the constructors to make the uplink cables enter the room below floor level to avoid patch cables going from the outlets to the panel right next to it. Ah, well. :roll:

If you're wondering how come the cables are all neatly aligned, check THIS device. I made a clone with a 3D printer, and it really works!

Oh, obviously I have no intention to move house anytime soon :mrgreen:

Return to “Everything Else”