Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Your account is empty - what should the app say?
your balance is $0.00 81%  81%  [ 21 ]
you have $0.00 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
you have no money 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
your account is empty 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I hope you have other means 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:50 am 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
... Michael Douglas in "Falling Down"...

I love it :) Where do you sign up ?

There are two components to the "help-you" problem. One is the shit that the retarded prepubescent developers load into the program itself. Have you ever tried to load a cell in Excel without an initial capital letter ? What if I don't want the goddamned capital letter on that word ? Tough luck, Charlie, we're going to help you ? Whether you want it or not ? How about Open (yer) Orifice ? Same-o same-o, hey ? It's so nice to have 'community' developers who have no more imagination than the crap they are trying to copy.

Have you ever added a comma to a sentence in Mickeysoft Word, only to have the entire report blow up in your face ? Thank you, Mickey. I appreciate that. I really do. Oh. Photoshop and Illustrator ... let's save as a pdf ! Adobe owns all the components, should be fine ! Yeah, it's fine all right - if you like having an extra inch and a half margin on the left. Try getting rid of that help-you feature. "But you're going to print it !" No, I'm not, and I just love it when you help me. The extra two or three hours I spend finding a workaround to your "help" is such a joy. Where's that Uzi again ?

I suppose you use some sort of web browser ... every single one sucks dead donkey balls. If more web pages would display correctly I'd rush back to Netscape 3.0 in half a heartbeat. Google, thanks so much, no I didn't want to search for what you want to search for, I want to search for what I typed in the input box. And people ? If you can't fucking spell, get away from the keyboard and get a job picking lettuce.

Websites. Don't get me started on websites. Do I really want to have to load Fireflop down with thirty addons to disappear the absolute crap that many web pages insist on loading ? If I wanted to go to facebook or twitter or youtube I'd have gone there. No, thanks so much I don't need your stupid fucking ideas jammed down my throat.

Take all this help-you shit and shove it where the sun don't shine. You want to do bubble help, fine. Put the on-off switch in a preferences file. Otherwise, Mr Pimply Teen-aged Video-game-playing 'Developer', please take your 'help me run my life garbage' - ALL of it - and place it twixt thy knees. Then hop off a pier in killer whale country. I'm sick to death of that stupid crap.

All of this is bad enough but what really creams the triscuit is that these dorks apparently have plenty of time to play with the help-you toys but no time to make the app actually work right. Firefox can remind you that it is Mom's birthday, "helpfully" send you to ten websites you have no interest in whatsoever, ask if you're sure you want to go to the site you just painstakingly typed in, but if you try to load five tabs from slow-loading servers ? The entire interface locks up tighter than Applied Materials' accounts payable. This is with the most current version. Interface design was smarter than this twenty years ago !! . What a crock of poo.

I am so glad I use Irix. One of the nicest things about it is that the help-you crap is kept to a minimum. It just does what I ask it to do. Yay ! An operating system and applications that aren't 'targetted' at kindergarteners !

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:24 am 

Well said, hamei.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:34 am 

hamei wrote:
[...] Mr Pimply Teen-aged Video-game-playing 'Developer', please take your 'help me run my life garbage' - ALL of it - and place it twixt thy knees. Then hop off a pier in killer whale country. I'm sick to death of that stupid crap.

All of this is bad enough but what really creams the triscuit is that these dorks apparently have plenty of time to play with the help-you toys but no time to make the app actually work right. [...]
Don't pin this on the developers. It's the marketing guys that come up with this shit.

Because it works.

So blame them, and the morons that click those suggestions.

.tsooJ

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 pm 

Thanks guys, those are some excellent datum points on the graph of opinion!

As some have mentioned mobile apps, PalmOS really did this stuff right, as a developer you had so little room to move ( you were basically on a handheld 68k mac ) that you did the absolutely minimum, but you did it well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:53 pm 

Alien wrote:
Because it works.

No, it doesn't "work." Google's very existence is based on the fact that this crap does not work. There is absolutely nothing special about google. Nothing -- except that for a long time their interface was a single line. No ads, no help, no nothing. Google did what it was supposed to do and nothing else. Bye-bye Lycos. Bye-bye Yahoo. Bye-bye "internet portals" (the moronic marketing plan of the nineties.)

Now that they've cornered the market they are in a position to "improve" their interface to MAKE THE BIG MONEY !!! But the fact is, 90% of the world hates that garbage. Absolutely hates it. So the stupid pimple-faced preteens and the marketing dorks that pander to them ruin the Internet for the rest of us. I wish Michael Douglas would send them all back to the Shopping Channel where they belong - in pine boxes.

And the US intends to base its economy on this useless swill. Great idea. Really great. I bet it works out just super. What a group of losers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm 

hamei wrote:
And the US intends to base its economy on this useless swill. Great idea. Really great. I bet it works out just super. What a group of losers.

I confess to walking out of a tech entrepreneurship event recently because almost of the "tech" startups seemed to be pitching nothing but new ways to push ads and new ways to collect marketing data. As a matter of principle, I have nothing against collecting market information and using it to sell more stuff to consumers, but if that's the only thing that entrepreneurs are working on, maybe hamei is right.

...and don't get me started about the silly, dorky, meaningless names that these companies call themselves.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 am 

Hamei, google runs on nothing but ads.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 pm 

skywriter wrote:
Hamei, google runs on nothing but ads.

Of course, because that's how a monopoly works. Provide a good product or service at the lowest price until there is no competition. Then drop the hammer and screw everyone to the max.

I cannot understand why brainless Americans cannot see the end game in all of these dramas. Thirty years' worth of crap about the "free market" so we now have five companies that own everything and absolutely no choices. No one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 am 

hamei wrote:
Thirty years' worth of crap about the "free market" so we now have five companies that own everything and absolutely no choices.

You missed the part where the US Govt gives the entire internet to the recording industry, but gives them all rights, and no responsibility.

Slightly more on topic, have you noticed that in the begining was the "readme" and that was sufficient, then with GUIs, I noticed the trend of installation documents having screen shots of installers with big red ellipses around the "install" button, ( it's an MSI installer, they all look the same, you only have one button to push ), now it seems we can't get by explaining a simple action without a downloadable video. For example we had an update to our product and the release was delayed because marketing had not made a video of somebody pushing a button on the screen.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 am 

Alien wrote:
Don't pin this on the developers. It's the marketing guys that come up with this shit.

Because it works.

Right - because it works - which means, I'm sorry to say, it is the customers that want this stuff. Marketeers come up with things that they think they can sell. If it sells they do more. Guess what's selling?

The people of earth never were cut out for this sedentary lifestyle. Millions of years of evolution, fine tuning these beautiful nomadic legs, and in less than two hundred years we’ve folded them up and put them away under our laptops.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 am 

porter wrote:
You missed the part where the US Govt gives the entire internet to the recording industry, but gives them all rights, and no responsibility.

seems almost relevant...
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 34190.html

The people of earth never were cut out for this sedentary lifestyle. Millions of years of evolution, fine tuning these beautiful nomadic legs, and in less than two hundred years we’ve folded them up and put them away under our laptops.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:30 am 

guardian452 wrote:
Alien wrote:

Because it works.
Right - because it works - which means, I'm sorry to say, it is the customers that want this stuff.
That's not strictly true. Customers don't (actively, consciously) want these things. They don't demand them. But when they're present, they will use them. And that's why they work and why they keep appearing.

poeppl r dum.

.tsooJ

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 am 

guardian452 wrote:
Right - because it works - which means, I'm sorry to say, it is the customers that want this stuff.

"Works" in the same sense that Nigerian scams "work." One idiot replies, thirty-eight thousand four hundred fifty people are infuriated. But what do the spammers care ? They got their one fool ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 am 

hamei wrote:
I am so glad I use Irix. One of the nicest things about it is that the help-you crap is kept to a minimum. It just does what I ask it to do. Yay ! An operating system and applications that aren't 'targetted' at kindergarteners !
Yes, you are quite right. However, when upon compiling with MipsPro I get a message like "error code x(buyz)" I certainly haven't asked for that and so a bit of help-you crap would help me there quite. But, of course, you know all the codes by heart and don't need any help at all - how I envy you :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 pm 

So should developers behave like end users, unburdened by knowledge; or should all end users be writing C++ programs with MipsPro?

Alas, I have seen plenty of the former.