Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 am 

I recently accepted an offer for a 1-2 year position in Chile! I will be moving there in a few weeks (I am currently in New Mexico, United States).

One issue this bring up is international phone service for keeping in touch with family and friends in the U.S. Which brings up the problem that all telecommunication companies are evil. Originally I had planed to go with Skype, but with the microsoft buyout I am now very hesitant.

What other options are out there? So far I have considered Google voice, Vonage, and a SIP client. Any other ideas? I really want to be able to call to and receive from U.S. PSTN phones at minimal cost...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:38 am 

I use skype, works fine for NL, CA and US. and skype-to-skype of course, complete with webcam.

If you only want to call US phones the service is really cheap too.

"The Barbecue Ghost and Fernando Torres are friends."

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:03 am 

Hi,

WolvesOfTheNight wrote:
What other options are out there? So far I have considered Google voice, Vonage, and a SIP client. Any other ideas? I really want to be able to call to and receive from U.S. PSTN phones at minimal cost...

I've had good experiences with Sipgate in the UK and US. The service is good but SIP softphones can be poor and configuring hardphones can sometimes be painful. It is, however, a one off exercise.
I'd recommend sipgate with the linphone software. Once linphone is configured I find the quality is as good as my hardphone. X-Ten (or whatever it's called) was relatively easy to configure but the subsequent experience just wasn't worth it. Call quality was very, very poor.

The advantage with SIP/sipgate is that it integrates sensibly with the rest of the world. i.e. you get an actual telephone number and you can make regular telephone calls. This means that the other party doesn't have to install anything or learn anything or even know how you're doing it.

When I signed up (with sipgate), there was no line rental, incoming calls were completely free and outgoing calls were cheap. Free phone numbers were free.

Regards,
@ndy

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 am 

Thanks for the note on sipgate. I will look it over; it is tempting to try out.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 am 

I am using Skype to talk with my family in Spain :). It works very well for me. Microsoft issue did not affect my decission because, to be honest, the only company I truly dislike is Apple :D :D.

Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_REKIEM_I7_
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_Lazarus_
2 x Intel Xeon MP Gallatin 3,00 Ghz with 4 MB cache / Zotac 512Mb GT430 / 12 Gb DDR266 ECC / 4 x Maxtor Atlas 146GB 10K V U320