Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 am 

...today is the centenary of the murder of the heir to the Austrian-Hungarian throne & his wife [mother of three children]. No-one had ever thought of it at first, but it developed into World War I - the ur-catastrophe of the 20th century [without it, WWII couldn't have happened at all]. About 10 000 000 soldiers died during that first war - from Japan to the USA. While I'm an atheist, I sure pray something like that will never happen again.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:33 pm 

For anyone who hasn't read these, you should correct that error at once:
Attachment:
aqwf.jpg
aqwf.jpg [ 4.89 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
Attachment:
tgoa.jpg
tgoa.jpg [ 5.79 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:20 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
I sure pray something like that will never happen again.

keep your prayers...WW3 is on its way, just open your eyes.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:05 am 

yetanother**ixuser wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
I sure pray something like that will never happen again.

keep your prayers...WW3 is on its way, just open your eyes.
Tell me - why are you so fatalistic?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:30 am 

Oskar45 wrote:
Tell me - why are you so fatalistic?

You may not have noticed this, Oskar, but people are essentially stoopid.

Sure, there are a few intelligent ones for us to ignore but in general, the unwashed masses can't find their asses with both hands while the movers and shakers care about one thing and one thing only - more money for themselves.

This is not a good recipe to solve the very real worldwide problems which everyone is ignoring.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:31 am 

sorry no fatalism here, just critical thinking and pure realism. i know these abilities are extremely rare these days, but i give you one free bit of advice -> don't believe everything which comes up on your smartphone screen!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:17 am 

yetanother**ixuser wrote:
sorry no fatalism here, just critical thinking and pure realism. i know these abilities are extremely rare these days, but i give you one free bit of advice -> don't believe everything which comes up on your smartphone screen!

smartphones, and my ability to chat up hottie japanese girls via facebook is what makes the idea of another world war obsolete.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am 

Really? I'm now reconsidering my previous hard line against Facebook.

:Fuel: bigred, 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, R10000, Solid IMPACT (full hinv pending)
probably posted from Image bruce, 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:58 pm 

ClassicHasClass wrote:
Really? I'm now reconsidering my previous hard line against Facebook.

:P

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:33 pm 

surrealdeal wrote:
smartphones, and my ability to chat up hottie japanese girls via facebook is what makes the idea of another world war obsolete.

Damn ! If only Mr Bush had known you like to chat up hot Japanese girls, I'm sure he would never have considered invading Iraq !

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:53 pm 

As Herman Wouk explained so ably in War and Remembrance, the Germans constantly blamed the countries they invaded for behaving so badly that in the end there was nothing left to do but invade them...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 am 

vishnu wrote:
As Herman Wouk explained so ably ...

umm, vish ?

wikipedia wrote:
Byron Henry — Victor's younger son starts the war as an officer on the fictional USS Devilfish. When the captain, Branch Hoban, breaks down under the strain of an attack, the executive officer, Carter "Lady" Aster takes over and leads the attack. [Yeah, this happened all the time. Almost weekly, in fact.] Aster becomes commander of the ship, with Byron his executive officer. While on leave in Hawaii, Byron is aware that Janice, his brother's widow, is acting strangely. He does not know that she is having an affair with Aster.[Aster gave her a yeast infection and she was too embarrassed to explain the itch ?]

Byron wants to see Natalie; when possible, he wangles duty in the European theater. [Sure, sub guys were frequently rotated to Europe to act as couriers. They weren't really needed in the Pacific, so what the hell. And after Eleanor Roosevelt described submarine crews as "disgusting animals" they had such a great rep as suave and deboner folks that really, if you were in subs you were almost certain to get a posting as a diplomatic attache.] He serves as a courier to the U.S. mission to Vichy France and tries to get Natalie to leave with him. [Oh yeah, of course the wife of a submarine officer would decline to leave an occupied country ! "Think of the baby ! A concentration camp (we conveniently happen to be Jewish) would be so much healthier for him !|] She refuses on the grounds that while they could cross Poland in a war in 1939, they didn't have Louis. [Am I missing something here ? Did they move Poland to in-between France and Portugal ? Or was she really worried about the kangaroos ?] Byron and Natalie agree that Natalie and Louis and Aaron should wait to get a passport from the US consulate in Marseilles while Byron travels direct to Lisbon and book a room. [ No internet in those days :(] Byron arrives in Portugal just as Operation Torch begins, and the plan has to be scrapped.

Byron returns to the Pacific theater and rejoins Aster on the fictional USS Moray. Aster is severely wounded while on deck during an air attack and to save the ship, orders Byron to submerge without him. (This event is based on the death of Commander Howard W. Gilmore of the USS Growler (SS-215) on February 7, 1943. Gilmore was awarded the Medal of Honor). [Then he called in an arty attack on his own position ... jeeze. There are eight million stories in the naked city, why do these twerps have to beat two or three of them to death ?]Byron is later awarded command of the USS Barracuda.[The Barracuda was built in 1924 and as of 1942 was sent to New England and had half her engines removed, after which she was used for training. So the Hero now drives a tow truck ... ]

As a Naval Reservist, Byron feels mixed about his role in the war. He is competent, but doesn't enjoy fighting. However, in one engagement, he is forced to surface and fight a battle against a Japanese destroyer. [Is this guy crazy ? A WW II sub, on the surface, against a tin can ? Two deck guns against a DD ? They're all dead.] When told he will win the Navy Cross, he replies, "Killing Japs gave Carter Aster a thrill. It leaves me cold." [Of course not, because he has a white hat and belongs to the US Navy, not those other barbarian navies. Gag.]

Shortly before the Battle of Leyte Gulf, Byron visits his father aboard his flagship. [They stopped everything and parked the sub abeam of the battleship so the Henrys could have a family reunion. This is also s.o.p. for naval operations in the middle of a war.] The meeting is strained, because Byron blames Pamela for the breakup of his father's marriage. Later, his sister, Madeline, straightens him out about the causes of the breakup; he and his father become reconciled. [Yeah, Madeleine heard about the misunderstanding through her esp, so she went down to Operations and had them send Byron a coded message SS MORAY LAT 13 LONG 122 STOP BYRON COMMA NOT DADS FAULT STOP MOM WOULDNT SUCK DICK STOP RECOMMEND RECONCILE STOP so he turned the sub around, headed back through the battle group so he and Dad could have a big hug. It's all about the faaaamily. They were kissing and stuff when the Jap Zeros arrived and all the dinnerware got smashed on the deck.]

In April 1945, Natalie is found in Weimar, Germany. Byron presses the Commander-in-Chief, Pacific, for an assignment in Europe so he might be reunited with his wife. [Which of course happened all the time because a junior officer in subs is like best butt-buddies with the CiC. Plus his boat's been in New England for the past three years so he's really in with the in-crowd down at Pacific HQ. And Family Values are paramont at this time. Teddy Kennedy would be proud. "Stop the world ! We have to reunite the faaaaamily !! ] He is assigned to investigate the technical details of captured German U-boats and leaves for Europe to join his wife, now recovering in a hospital, and to find his son, Louis. After a long search throughout Europe, Byron reunites with Louis, who was in an orphanage, only to find Louis is so traumatized he will not talk. However, when he reunites Louis with Natalie, Louis begins to sing with her. This occurs on August 6, 1945, the date of the first use of the atom bomb in warfare. [Isn't that just adorable ? Pass the vinegar quick, please, I'm having a saccharine overdose ... ]

Gag me with a spoon :) The ridiculosity of this plot speaks for itself .... this is the guy they are worshipping for accuracy ? I hope he at least got the dates right.

Last edited by hamei on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:05 am 

Wow. That's almost Pearl Harbor levels of contrived and dumb.

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 pm 

Ha ha, well, you guys obviously didn't read the book... 8-)

Wouk won the Pulitzer Prize (for "The Caine Mutiny"), so regardless of what it looks like in the Cliff Notes version he can write... ;)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:21 pm 

vishnu wrote:
Ha ha, well, you guys obviously didn't read the book... 8-)

Due to your recommendation I just looked into it. And read the synopsis ... after I got done barfing I came back here :P

Quote:
Wouk won the Pulitzer Prize (for "The Caine Mutiny"), so regardless of what it looks like in the Cliff Notes version he can write... ;)

He can write politically correct ridiculous swill, we agree on that :D

Do you have any idea what's wrong with people ? Look here :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... me=2959118

Some pretty neat photos but the captions ! be sure you didn't just eat your breakfast ... it starts off with what's obviously a sixties jet (what years do these idiots think ww ii happened ?) and finishes with a 707. Midway we have a side-by-side cockpit as big as a barn described as a "fighter" ... This is a major newspaper. Do any of the people in the media today have even a tenuous connection to reality ? is 'fact' a foreign concept now ?

What the hell is going on ?

This is really cute, too ... quote: "Jonny Joo, who has made a name for himself by venturing into long-abandoned places" ... Quite obvious in the very first photo is a house with a late-model SUV out front. Long-abandoned ? Who are they, Goldilocks ? The three bears went to the store an hour ago ?

Are we really stoopid enough to lap up this swill like fresh cream ?