eBay: would you buy it for me and ship to Germany???

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Thomas W.

eBay: would you buy it for me and ship to Germany???

Unread postby Thomas W. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Could anybody in the USA buy an ebay-item for me and ship it to Germany?

I pay via Paypal.

Please PM me. Thank you!! :D
:1600SW: :Onyx: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

hamei

Re: eBay: would you buy it for me and ship to Germany???

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:12 am

Thomas W. wrote:Could anybody in the USA buy an ebay-item for me and ship it to Germany?

FedEx or USPS ?
Attachments
ship_to_germany.jpg

Thomas W.

Unread postby Thomas W. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:14 am

smaller... much smaller... :D

a box with manuals and cds
:1600SW: :Onyx: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Thomas W.

Unread postby Thomas W. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 am

It's already done.

I got a shipping address in the USA.

Thanks to those who responded!! :D

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 am

hamei wrote:FedEx or USPS ?
As a slightly topical aside to the whole discussion, if anyone is considering having an item shipped overseas from the US, it might be wise not to procrastinate.

US Postal Service shipping has been one of the better $ deals for US/International shipping. USPS applied for a rate increase that would go into effect 2 January 2011 - some news reports have suggested the increases could run as high as 25% for things like international shipping.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:00 am

recondas wrote:US Postal Service shipping has been one of the better $ deals for US/International shipping. USPS applied for a rate increase that would go into effect 2 January 2011 - some news reports have suggested the increases could run as high as 25% for things like international shipping.

And the price for having fifty cents' worth of paper added to your passport just went from $0 to $82. The State Department couldn't do a better job of making people believe that the feds are totally incompetent if they tried. The equivalent of two sheets of letter-sized paper for $82 .... impressive. Truly impressive.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 am

recondas wrote:US Postal Service shipping has been one of the better $ deals for US/International shipping. USPS applied for a rate increase that would go into effect 2 January 2011 - some news reports have suggested the increases could run as high as 25% for things like international shipping.

Wonder if this would have an impact on the eBay auctions for $2 widgets from Chinese sellers that offer free shipping...
:O2000R: (<-EMXI/IO6G) :O200: :O200: :O200: (<- quad R12k O200 w/GIGAchannel and ESI+Tex) plus a bunch of assorted standalone workstations...

kshuff

Unread postby kshuff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:09 pm

The Keeper wrote:
Wonder if this would have an impact on the eBay auctions for $2 widgets from Chinese sellers that offer free shipping...

They make widgets now too ??
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 am

The Keeper wrote:

I doubt it. Anything I've ever bought from those sellers is shipped from the far east, and thus uses China Post, Hong Kong Post etc. This will only impact sellers in the US who sell to foreign buyers, and ship from the US. Things like cables, generic gigabit or USB PCI cards etc. may no longer be practical to buy from the US (for non-US buyers), so if anything, sellers in the far east might see an increase in sales.

I think USPS had already increased prices about a year and a half ago - buying smaller stuff like software CDs/PCI cards suddenly became impractical due to shipping costs back around then. I rarely buy from eBay US anymore - for stuff I buy, shipping is already generally as much as or more than the item being sold, so unless the item is only sold in the US, there are better alternatives.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 am

kramlq wrote: ... buying smaller stuff like software CDs suddenly became impractical due to shipping costs ...

hee haw, hee haw :P

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:31 am

hamei wrote:
kramlq wrote: ... buying smaller stuff like software CDs suddenly became impractical due to shipping costs ...

hee haw, hee haw :P

... my lawyer would probably want me to point out that I now mainly buy software from EU based sellers, even though you probably know some places locally where I could get a better deal :D

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 am

kramlq wrote:I doubt it.

I should have qualified my statement to mean shipping items to addresses in the US. And it was also a sideways comment on the ability of individuals to manufacture/resell/whatever products, list them for sale on a fee-per-item site like eBay, purchase the packing materials, process the orders, and pay to ship the item half-way around the world, all for a final sale price of like $3 for a widget.

kramlq wrote:I think USPS had already increased prices about a year and a half ago

The big change was USPS Parcel Post International was disbanded. That means that large items can no longer be shipped via USPS by "slow boat", so yeah, with your only options being Priority or Express, shipping costs will naturally be more.

You can still ship small items by USPS First Class International, and then there's also the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope (which is similar to First Class International, but it's not weight restricted). The former for small items like PCI cards and CDs is about $10, and the latter is under $15.

This is all assuming that you can even find eBay sellers willing to ship overseas in the first place. I've never understood the reluctance to ship outside of the US.
:O2000R: (<-EMXI/IO6G) :O200: :O200: :O200: (<- quad R12k O200 w/GIGAchannel and ESI+Tex) plus a bunch of assorted standalone workstations...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:33 am

kramlq wrote:... my lawyer would probably want me to point out that I now mainly buy software from EU based sellers, even though you probably know some places locally where I could get a better deal :D

May be :P

That brings up a question tho ... I have some locally-sourced CD's with chinese file names. They probably have forbidden characters and control codes in the directory and file names as well, knowing the quality of these suppliers. However, reading them freezes the desktop. I mean freezes it, as in solid, vulcan death grip has no response, cursor dead, may as well be a Dick Cheney's heart.

a) What can cause that ?

and

b) why was it never fixed ? the whole scsi cd-rom thing in Irix is really flaky.

Return to “Everything Else”