Show Off Your Home Office Setup & SGI Collection...

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: Show Off Your Home Office Setup & SGI Collection...

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 am

Y888099 wrote:*you* comment that cutting a cat's penis is "funny" :roll:

This is OT to this thread but I think you misunderstood, so let me explain. That wasn't "fun". Their previous owner said the cats were best buddies and she didn't want to split them up, so we took both of them. But as soon as they settled in their new home they started fighting. They were trying to kill each other, and we were tired of the blood, piss and fur all over the place every day. We had to do something, and it was either this or sending at least one to an animal shelter.

I think we made the right decision, but you're free to disagree. Oh, for the record: neutering a cat does not involve cutting in the penis (or cutting it off), they remove the testicles.
Y888099 wrote:Because a teenager doesn't care about life's complexity, e.g. the electricity bill you have to pay for a 1K Watt machine, or the rent you have to pay to host all of these machines.

Therefore, we *adults* usually need a purpose (including why on the why should I run a business project on a prototype?) to justify costs. At least it would be interesting talking about "usage", what you really can do. None of these topics has a purpose. Except to show how many "football-stickers" you have stacked.

As a teenager I didn't even own a computer. As an adult, I have a family, a job, a mortgage, a couple of cars (and some cats) to care for and worry about. Sometimes I need to escape all of that for a moment. Some people go to a bar, some people run marathons. Some people hit on the lifeguards on the beach. I can't do that, because my wife would cut my penis off :lol: But hey, it doesn't really matter what you do to unwind, as long as it works for you that's fine with me. I'm not judgemental.

So what if I tinker with old Silicon Graphics computers because I happen to like them. Their shape, their colorful appearance, the challenge to restore them to working order and keep them that way. To fiddle around with the software on them, even if I could have done the same thing on my Macbook in a fraction of the time. The rules of business and efficiency don't apply because I'm not at work, I'm relaxing. Hopefully it makes me a better, more balanced person for my loved ones the rest of the time. *This* is my usage of *my* SGI computers. You don't need to understand what I get out of it, lots of people don't. Often I don't understand their passions either. Just don't be judgemental.

Is it an expensive hobby? I think the money I spent on systems and parts, minus what I got back selling things, divided by the years I've been doing this, doesn't exceed a couple of hundred a year. Negligible compared to the cost of living. If I would run one or more SGI systems 24/7, the power bill would be significant. But I don't. Last time I checked, our power bills were comparable to people around me living in comparable houses. What did cost significant money was the annex I had built to house my collection. But I didn't have to borrow money for it and it increased the value of the property, so if we ever sell it we will probably reclaim most or all of it. I could have spent that money on a nice car and it would be gone now.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 am

Well put Jan, I agree with you completely! :D
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image... Image AlphaStation 255/300MHz.
Image................Image 486 DX4 100MHz. (My first Computer)
Image.........................Image Image JavaStation-10(Krups); Sun Fire V880z.
A snapshot of what I've got:.......................................................................:arrow:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 am

I think Jan-Jaap has summarized very clearly our reasons to come together on this forum, which is to talk constructively about SGI (and other vintage) computers and the former company, engage in development, performing restoration, exchanging tips and show pictures of the machines to others: like on this topic.

Nobody is interested in hearing your critique, Y888099. This is our hobby therefore by definition any discussion of merit-of-having-them, monetary value, production use, why-these-machine-have-such-outrageous-colors and OT cat pictures is completely moot.

If you don't like the topic, then don't post. If you don't like the hobby nature of this forum, then please leave.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 am

@Irinikus
Are you one of them aviator types? Or is that monstrosity of levers to the right of the O2 the power switch/dsitribution board for all these things. :D

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 am

spiroyster wrote:@Irinikus
Are you one of them aviator types? Or is that monstrosity of levers to the right of the O2 the power switch/dsitribution board for all these things. :D

I am an aviator by profession. That is an actual throttle quadrant from a Boeing 737-200.
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image.........................Image Image JavaStation-10(Krups); Sun Fire V880z.
A snapshot of what I've got:.......................................................................:arrow:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 am

Released this a few days ago on my channel. It's not all SGIs, and quite messy, but this is a tour of my "lab"/computer room.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am

Cool video, thanks for sharing! :D

You've got a great future ahead of you, keep it up! :D

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

dexter1 wrote:Nobody is interested in hearing your critique ... If you don't like the topic, then don't post. If you don't like the hobby nature of this forum, then please leave.

Just for the record, the wannabe nazi from the netherlands does not speak for me. I do not believe he took a vote, so he can't say he speaks for all of us, either. Dexter1 does not own nekochan.

Also, while I may not agree with what you say, this is supposedly a free society. The method to deal with things you do not like in a free society is discussion, not censorship or catty "this is my club, grils not allowed" pronouncements.

When I see dexter1's God Certificate, then I'll listen to him. Until then, he ain't shit.

On the topic that brought this about, I am sorry to say there is some truth in the pariah's statements. He's not real tactful about it but the overwhelming adoration of things a lot of the adorers never use is kind of strange. I would not phrase it this way but how many people here gush and gush about their SGI's, while /beta nekoware has hundreds of untouched tardists ? Seems odd to me. It's kinda like loving your dick but avoiding girls.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:07 am

I seen absolutely no reason why there should be so much animosity between members on this forum, we all share a common interest!

We all have our own reasons for dabbling in these machines and if some of us want to collect and display our completed SGI projects, that's our choice, and it shouldn't be to show off, but just to honor them for the design marvels that they were.

None of us have any right to criticize others for their choices, as long as they don't negatively affect others.

Unfortunately (if you see it that way) SGI machines differ enough from each other from an architectural point of view for you to have the "need" to own many machines if you want to fully understand the ground breaking design philosophies (at that time anyway) that SGI implemented when they created these machines.

Each machine that I have built up has thought me allot on many levels and I therefore think that each project was well worth the effort! :D

I think it would be great if we could share what we have in SGI terms, to serve as a source of information or source of inspiration to others.

We are all different and nobody on this forum is better than anybody else!

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am

I got rid of all my computer-stuff years ago and therefore live vicariously through posts like these. I do practically everything on my phone, my wife has a laptop which we use for things that don't work well on mobile (mainly banking and the budget-spreadsheet). I sold my razer because I never used it much and the core-box was annoying in practice, as was the windows software.

I have computers at work, and they do not come home unless there is an emergency 8-)

miod

Unread postby miod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Irinikus wrote:I seen absolutely no reason why there should be so much animosity between members on this forum, we all share a common interest!

Unfortunately, some people here are in write-only mode and can't seem to be bothered to read messages from years ago explaining why things have been done the way they have been, and havoc ensues.
:Indigo:R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo:R4000 x4 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 x2 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4400SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 x3 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:26 pm

hamei wrote:Just for the record, the wannabe nazi from the netherlands does not speak for me.

When I see dexter1's God Certificate, then I'll listen to him. Until then, he ain't shit.

now that's a bit out of line, sir!

Dexter1 does not own nekochan.

Also, while I may not agree with what you say, this is supposedly a free society

yes, Dexter1 is not the owner but part of the mod team which has householder's rights. and although anyone can register and post here it's a privately run forum after all which means the participants are not entitled to anything.

On the topic that brought this about, I am sorry to say there is some truth in the pariah's statements. He's not real tactful about it but the overwhelming adoration of things a lot of the adorers never use is kind of strange. I would not phrase it this way but how many people here gush and gush about their SGI's, while /beta nekoware has hundreds of untouched tardists ? Seems odd to me. It's kinda like loving your dick but avoiding girls.

sure, a lot of members here seem to be collectors and not so much users. but as jan-jaap pointed out that is their prerogative.
you're welcome to express your discontent in that regard as long as you're not bashing other members :P

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Just a small home office that I have. Its always messy with wires all over.

DSC_2406.jpg

DSC_2410.jpg

DSC_2411.jpg

DSC_2412.jpg

DSC_2413.jpg

DSC_2415.jpg

DSC_2419.jpg

DSC_2420.jpg

DSC_2422.jpg

DSC_2423.jpg

DSC_2425.jpg

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Now that's one very cool setup! :D

Your collection is awesome must have taken a hang of allot of time and effort to assemble, I really appreciate it! :D

Thanks for sharing!

xiri
Donor
Donor

Unread postby xiri » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:03 am

@necron2600:
Well that's quite a lot of SUN gear from the time before Larry came, very nice.
Your W114 in the garage seems to be in great shape, I once had a W115 20 years ago, though my personal favorite is the W111 Coupe.
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :O2: :O2+: :Octane: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x04R: :A3503L: :PrismDT: :Tezro:

Return to “Everything Else”