Learning Spanish?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
WolvesOfTheNight

Learning Spanish?

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 pm

As my employer is having me take a couple trips to Chile I decided that it would be a good idea to learn some Spanish. While it is not required for work it would be nice, and it is good to have when living in the southwest. So I signed up for a Spanish course, and am now being killed by verb conjugation.

At the moment I am attempting to learn by:

1) Going to class
2) Reading the book
3) Making & using flash cards (yay for my stack of old punch cards!!!)
4) Listening to the audio CDs that came with the book
5) Copying / writing stuff.
6) Going in during office hours to discuss & review stuff.

I am also trying to start a study group with some of my class mates.

So far I am not having much luck, and am wondering if I need a different approach. I suspect that I need to work more with things like building sentences, instead of single words. Does anyone have some good suggestions? It seems like there should be some good software out there. Or something else other way to study.

If you were wondering, the only language I know is english.
-WolvesOfTheNight

loui

Re: Learning Spanish?

Unread postby loui » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 am

Hola buenos dias

I moved to Spain from the UK about 1 year ago, still struggling with the language.
Hard parts pronunciation.

Children's books are pretty useful to start with. Especially the one with phonetic pronunciations.

Buenos dias
BWAY-nohs DEE-yahs.

Watching the Simpson's in Spanish also helps :D

It takes time, took years to learn English. Can´t expect to learn Spanish overnight.
Italian by transport

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 am

I took a year and a half of Spanish in college. Conjugation is one of the most difficult parts - certainly more difficult than learning the vocabulary.

It sounds like you're already doing all the things you ought to be doing, so perhaps you just need to be more patient? Learning any language takes time. It sounds as though you're on a deadline, so there's probably only so much you can expect to absorb before your trip.

One thing you might try is picking up a few Spanish language publications (magazines) or reading through Spanish advertisements. There's also a computer program called Rosetta Stone which claims to make learning any language easier, but I have no personal experience with it.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Amigo Lobo De La Noche:

mi sugerencia sería que intentes leer y comunicarte con gente que utilice el español como su lengua nativa. Te sorprenderías lo mucho que puede aprenderse de un idioma, sin otra herramienta que un montón de audacia y buenos amigos que te ayuden a corregir tus errores! :D

(Desde luego, sugerido todo ésto como apoyatura a los cursos que actualmente estés realizando; es decir, como ayuda extra y no como reemplazo.)

Por otra parte, estoy seguro que aquí en Nekochan hallarás al menos una docena de hispanoparlantes, de forma que incluso sería interesante abrir una tira en español; éso claro, si Pete está de acuerdo!

Un gran saludo por Nuevo Méjico!,
Diego

P.D.: para quien escribe ésta comunidad ha sido una excelente ayuda con el inglés! ;)

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:15 pm

I agree with my friend, GeneratriX. Nothing beats immersing one's self in the language by speaking with native speakers while avoiding using your own language in the interactions. If that's not possible, in addition to Simpsons episodes, translated versions of movies that you know well are good tools. Avoid subtitles and listen...

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am

josehill wrote:speaking with native speakers while avoiding using your own language in the interactions.

Hey how are those hills? ;)
Yeap!, that should be the first rule! ...I only broken it here to leave to our friend some small exercise! ...I hope he really understood my sentences. I can help too with some spanish chat if needed. Just let me know (my english is not so polited as I would wish, but... I guess thanks to Nekochan I have a pretty good understanding from your language).

All the best,
Diego
P.S.: yes!, watching well known movies (perhaps some times also subtitled to your native tongue for comparation) also helps a lot; you will get accustomed to the real pronunciation and all the rest! But remember to watch some spanish movies (from any country) to learn a bit the so useful "lunfardo".

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 am

GeneratriX wrote:you will get accustomed to the real pronunciation and all the rest! But remember to watch some spanish movies (from any country) to learn a bit the so useful "lunfardo".

Heh. I like the Lunfardo Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4hf4lUOAE ;)

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:43 am

josehill wrote:Heh. I like the Lunfardo Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4hf4lUOAE ;)

Very nice video! ...if you happen to visit my country, I would like to invite you to morfar a very tasty asado! We'll put the morfi, and you a couple tubos de tinto! ;)

P.S.: we are making history here... this thread is getting rather interesting!

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey, Diego,

I had already decided that since I don't mind long flights, but I hate jet lag, my next "big" vacation will probably be Argentina/Chile/Uruguay.

Now I just need to find a year when I can take the time to do such a trip properly! I'll be sure to let you know if I am going to be in your neighborhood!

Cheers,
JH

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 pm

josehill wrote:Hey, Diego,

I had already decided that since I don't mind long flights, but I hate jet lag, my next "big" vacation will probably be Argentina/Chile/Uruguay.

Now I just need to find a year when I can take the time to do such a trip properly! I'll be sure to let you know if I am going to be in your neighborhood!

Cheers,
JH

Sure JH!; you'll be amazed with our nice foods (not to mention girls}; but maybe you are like me "a family guy", already retired from these market :) ), but also with our landscapes. Let me know if you travel and I'll let you know some cool places to visit, and of course I'll honor my invitation. All the best,
Diego

WolvesOfTheNight

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:39 pm

GeneratriX wrote:
josehill wrote:I only broken it here to leave to our friend some small exercise! ...I hope he really understood my sentences.

I got a rough idea with bablefish. When I have the time I will translate with the spanish-->english dictionary and my spanish textbook. However, I have to catch my flight tomorrow so I am a tad busy at the moment.
-WolvesOfTheNight

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 pm

WolvesOfTheNight wrote:I got a rough idea with bablefish. When I have the time I will translate with the spanish-->english dictionary and my spanish textbook. However, I have to catch my flight tomorrow so I am a tad busy at the moment.

Hey, have a good travel. All the best,
Diego

chatuser

Unread postby chatuser » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:05 pm

I suggest to watch Spanish movies with Spanish subtitles, we use the same method in Spain to learn English: lots of people watch House, Heroes, Lost, ... in English with subtitles to listen and understand English. Search on the Internet subtitled Spaniard movies.

Sometimes the translation is difficult and the result is terrible, for example:
http://www.dalealplay.com/informacionde ... ?con=50391

In the Spanish version, the last video, Homer says: "this country must be cool, Uruguay, haha", the original version is much better ;-)

In popular language, "guay" means "cool" (sweet, fresh, ...), a terrible joke, "Uruguay" sounds in Spanish like "uru-cool" :-(
:Indy: Indy R4400 150 MHz, 256 MB, Indy 24-bit, IRIX 6.5.22m/Debian GNU/Linux
:Octane2: Octane2 R12K 400 MHz, 1 GB, VPro V6, IRIX 6.5.30
IBM 44p 170 POWER3-II 400 MHz, 1 GB, Matrox G200 (GXT130P), AIX 5.3/Debian GNU/Linux
:hpserv: HP C3750+C3600 2GB, HP-UX 11v1/Debian GNU/Linux

BSDero

Unread postby BSDero » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 am

..or maybe you would go near the border...

Hey, New Mexico is the only State in USA with both spanish and english as official language!

I mean, u have a better chance to learn Spanish.

Spanish is a very expresive language.

Carlos V, emperor of Spain, said
"I talk in german with my soldiers,
Italian with the women,
French with the men,
and spanish with god."
__Zacatito__Image 600 MHZ R14000; 17GBytes HD
__Nopalito__Image 200 MHZ R5000; 9GBytes HD
Guadalajara, Jal and Aguascalientes, Ags
Mexico

WolvesOfTheNight

Unread postby WolvesOfTheNight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 am

GeneratriX -

I am still here, just really busy. I will probably be interested in some Spanish practice here once the semester ends. The class is taking up all the time I am willing to devote to it. But once I finish the class I had better keep practicing. Otherwise, I will forget everything prior to having a chance to start Spanish 2.

And a quick question: Am I correct in thinking that Méjico is an alternate spelling of Mexico, even thought Mexico is a Spanish word? Or is Mexico a Spanish word?
-WolvesOfTheNight

Return to “Everything Else”