Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 pm 

here's one of he identical silencers before the caulk goes round joints, foam goes inside surfaces, screw cover on, and wrap it in wall board, then caulk wallboard seams. the photos are a little old, i've already got some of the work done. i'll post a picture of more steps complete in a couple of days for interested parties.

they're 6 feet tall. the diagonal edge is to clear the stair way the fresh air silencer is wedged under; airflow goes from bottom to top for the fresh air inlet. same design used for exhaust and the air flow is reversed (but unit is upside down). The snout on top is there to bridge the inner and outer walls and secured to the inner wall. acoustic caulk is applied to the hole in the outer wallboard around the snout. acoustic caulk never really sets up. so the is a flexible seal between the parts. HVAC unfortunately is the place where the inner and outer walls are bridged in some fashion. the goal is to minimize the noise that arrives inside along this 'flanking path'. to that end, the inlet will be behind me, and the outlet is low to the floor behind the mixing board.

DECUS Member 368596

Last edited by skywriter on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:45 pm 

skywriter wrote:
theinonen wrote:
I only have couple Ensoniq EPS-16+ synths, keyboard and rack model. Both have expanded memory, but no SCSI on either one.

Excellent synths, great effects and I really like how they sound.

the EPS is much more useful with the SCSI interface+disk instead of doing the floppy shuffle for samples (that goes for all those keyboard's of the floppy ilk). trouble is that without fail every SCSI keyboard is still dog slow loading from SCSI. also, traversing hierarchical structures on a synth can be tedious at best. the fastest i have seems to be the kurzweil.

I have looked for SCSi-interface in Ebay, but seems to be pretty rare. Anyway, floppy is not that bad. I have lots of disks for the EPS-16+, and the biggest problem I see with them is that they are getting old and the floppy is not the most reliable medium. So far all the disks have worked fine.

Forgot couple things from the earlier post. I also have Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 connected to an Atari, and Maestro (Soviet synth) with original hard case.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recently I've been thinking about picking up a another synth or two. I was originally looking at a Roland Jupiter 8 or SCI Prophet 5, but as the prices are just getting astronomical I'm looking at modern "classic" sounding synths. Has anyone tried the analog DSI Prophet '08 PE or the M-Audio Venom (not a real analog, but seems interesting)?

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:58 pm 

I would go for the DSI, at least it has Dave Smiths hand I it. M-audio is low end IMHO. Funny how even VA's each have their own sound, not like real analog, but enough to shell out some bucks for a virus, or waldorf. I sat through a protools 9 spiel in Boston last week with a friend who is protools, I was really put off with the formulaic mishmashing of music, post production out of control. I suppose an artist an produce music with it, but it seemed entirely a technicians playground. Sadly, my friend had a power pc Mac, and couldn't upgrade. Neither of us won the raffle either...

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 am 

i'd love a good ol' hammond b-3 guys, sadly my schedule is a straightjacket in itself and i don't get to play music as much as i'd like. musicians are the luckiest among all other artists.

sky did you tackle the drawings? how's the playroom coming up?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am 

Mmm b3.... :). I had a c3 plus Leslie for a while, it was a beast! It's tune was based on the AC line frequency. Naturally, I came across a line frequency modulator used for 400 hz equipment so I could make it do some weird tuning bends. It sounded out of this world at the time.... Pretty tame these days I guess though...

Wrt the control room, I ended up using the old brain, and paper :) I didn't have the share the idea with anyone other than my carpenter, and he was willing to fix mistakes :). I'm close to finally wall treatments! Then install, and wiring. Yay!

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm 

i was walking around hampstead heath yesterday and saw one in pieces, almost broke my heart. i'm supposed to scout one for my brother sometime, just to pull his leg i sent him this but he'd rather groove on the real thing, de gustibus...

pen+paper is the funkiest of 'em all :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:56 am 

skywriter wrote:
Pretty tame these days I guess though

wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQzzgbbCsv4

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:27 am 

is this family gig syb? lay down a solid groove and the b3 is a tiger

never played one myself but i just found a review on the new b3 (try to ignore the bad shots)

btw if you guys spot something exotic in europe and could do with some help, press the buzzer

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm 

fu wrote:
is this family gig syb? lay down a solid groove and the b3 is a tiger

heh, very extended family, a friend's old man. and... yes it is. :D :shock: 8-)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 am 

sybrfreq wrote:
skywriter wrote:
Pretty tame these days I guess though

wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQzzgbbCsv4

You didn't respond to what I wrote. That's a b3; not a pitch shifted c3.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skywriter wrote:
I would go for the DSI, at least it has Dave Smiths hand I it. M-audio is low end IMHO. Funny how even VA's each have their own sound, not like real analog, but enough to shell out some bucks for a virus, or waldorf. I sat through a protools 9 spiel in Boston last week with a friend who is protools, I was really put off with the formulaic mishmashing of music, post production out of control. I suppose an artist an produce music with it, but it seemed entirely a technicians playground. Sadly, my friend had a power pc Mac, and couldn't upgrade. Neither of us won the raffle either...

I finally ordered the Prophet 08 this afternoon since none of the local Guitar Centers had any in stock. I also picked up a Juno-106 and a Korg Z1 VA on the cheap (Craigslist) to mess around with. Should keep me busy for a while anyway :)

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:42 pm 

The keyboard player in one of my bands bought a Juno 6, I wished he bought a dx9 instead. Oh well!

I have some Z1 samples on my kuzweil, I'm interested in how the actual synth sounds. The videos on vintagesynth for this synth are garbage.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I can't stand those syntezatory videos either. Vintage Synth Explorer just loves to link to all their videos which makes it especially frustrating. I'll see if I can put something together.

Speaking of DX9, I got a DX7 with a Grey Matter E! board off Craigslist as well.

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm 

yummy! the first two kbd's i got to seriously play with were my friends dx7, and ob-8, plus the linndrum. sweet gear... i still the linndrum. i was going to return it on his death bed :)

btw, if you want a freakishly awesome synth grab http://www.jasuto.com . i have it for ipad and it's incredible!

DECUS Member 368596

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next