Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:22 pm 

I've got a TR-505. Sounds like shit but grooves like a groovy thing on all the right drugs.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skywriter wrote:
neko does that motu unit serve as a usb midi device too? can you do midi i/o from your computer with it? or is it just a switch?

It's a USB MIDI interface:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:11 pm 

nekonoko wrote:
It's a USB MIDI interface:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128

doh, ok i get it - i can add a couple of them for all my synths. but what is the 9th output?

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:59 am 

skywriter wrote:
edit: oh i just noticed you have an ex-800, that was one of my very first synths. it had a kind of pop every forth note or so. but it made cool sounds. i wrote a sequencer in forth on the atari st to play it :)
!

found a neat link to a korg-800 modification. should be applicable to the ex-800 as well.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/12/korg-poly-800-ii-analog-synthesizer.html

btw great website.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

skywriter wrote:
found a neat link to a korg-800 modification. should be applicable to the ex-800 as well.

Yeah, that's basically the Moog Slayer mod I mentioned earlier - the reason I picked up the EX-800.

Here a couple of neat videos of various mods in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9WtJLGCfo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NSk_QVyGSs

The mods really wake up the synth and makes it a decent unit; I need to set aside some time and get some of them done.

By the way, this kit looks nice (demo is the second video I listed above):

http://patrioticduo.tripod.com/hawk800/index.html

All Rights Reserved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am 

noisetonepause wrote:
I've got a TR-505. Sounds like shit but grooves like a groovy thing on all the right drugs.

I have one too. Can still be used as a small MIDI controller. An interesting bug that seldom happens (maybe after a power supply glitch, but I don't want to risk latchup) features a double sampling clock, with all instruments pitched an octave above. Then you can halve the amount of drugs needed :shock:
skywriter wrote:
found a neat link to a korg-800 modification.

I have a Poly-800 too (my first synth). Mostly gathering dust. After hearing the demos, the Hawk-800 hack could revive my interest in playing it.
Which software MIDI sequencers are running on Irix :?:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:55 pm 

Well, little more than a year later, and the studio construction is coming along nicely. Got the framing all up, and caulking is mostly finished. This Xmas vacation, I'll be lining my HVAC silencers with acoustic foam that came today. Once they're in place, wall boarding can commence!

The studio construction technique is the called Mass-Spring-Mass design. Which you can find ceaselessly discussed here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/ in the forums. It pretty tough to get and airtight seal in residential, low basement ceilings; lot of wires, pipes, and air ducting.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 pm 

skywriter wrote:
Well, little more than a year later, and the studio construction is coming along nicely. Got the framing all up, and caulking is mostly finished. This Xmas vacation, I'll be lining my HVAC silencers with acoustic foam that came today. Once they're in place, wall boarding can commence!

The studio construction technique is the called Mass-Spring-Mass design. Which you can find ceaselessly discussed here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/ in the forums. It pretty tough to get and airtight seal in residential, low basement ceilings; lot of wires, pipes, and air ducting.

Acoustic foam in AC ducting. I always wondered how silencing HVAC in a studio was done. Never occurred to me. Would have to have some real good filtration for sure.

No mention of a Faraday Cage? Wendy Carlos is rolling over in her grave, which is all the more remarkable as she isn't even dead yet.

Looks like I'll be learning from your musical kung fu. I have a Kawai K1 MarkII and a Casio CZ-1000 myself. Both came from the same second-hand store. I was given an Alesis LX-20 ADAT deck and 8 track Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer earlier this month as well.

Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:59 pm 

I have a CZ-1000 here too, bought new back in the day. Used to run MIDI with an Apple 2, using a Passports Designs MIDI card. This would be back in '86 or so... I believe that was the year I was "Walking on Sunshine" or somewhere thereabouts. 8-)

It's usually relegated to midi-controller duty though, natively it just doesn't support enough voices (only 4 if you layer your sound, which is like a chord plus a note. If you run unlayered, you get 8 note polyphony). Makes an interesting solo tone source though, you can set it up to map multiple MIDI addresses, with each channel getting one tone source, so you can do the whole brass band thing pretty good. Except for the lack of velocity sensitivity and fairly springy keys, it's built far better than the 'Casio' name implies. They had partnered with Isao Tomita to develop their 'Phase Distortion' synthesis technique, which by very nature is very 'analog' in it's implementation and intended to be a serious competitor in the market in this timeframe. And it does do some very unique sounds. Some very funky sounds. Plus some really crappy sounds. But other synths got much better quickly after that, and Casio basically threw in the towel and went after the cheapo market.

I've got a couple of Apple-style MIDI interfaces (one is a rackmount unit, with two discrete channels!) that will be plugged into something SGI around here when I get the chance.

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:41 am 

While I don't have any myself, the significant other has a Yamaha YPT-310 and a Casio HT-6000.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv: :O300:

See them all >here<

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:13 pm 

anybody got a spare tb-303 they don't mind parting with?

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 pm 

MisterDNA wrote:
Acoustic foam in AC ducting. I always wondered how silencing HVAC in a studio was done. Never occurred to me. Would have to have some real good filtration for sure.

i'll post some pictures later, but there are a variety of ways to do it. the best method involves creating a pair a silencers (one for fresh inlet, and an exhaust duct), which are basically a convoluted airway, so sound has no direct path through it, that will allow a low velocity, high volume pathway (high velocity high friction walls create turbulence, which is noise itself) so it doesn't get stale air inside.

one of the best books out there is http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342 by Rod Gervais; who inhabits several forum like the one i mentioned.
MisterDNA wrote:
No mention of a Faraday Cage? Wendy Carlos is rolling over in her grave, which is all the more remarkable as she isn't even dead yet.
Conducted noise, and ground loops are a concern. but Wendy would use that as the source of music itself :)
MisterDNA wrote:
Looks like I'll be learning from your musical kung fu. I have a Kawai K1 MarkII and a Casio CZ-1000 myself. Both came from the same second-hand store. I was given an Alesis LX-20 ADAT deck and 8 track Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer earlier this month as well.

that's a decent starting point to have fun with. considering the space i'll have for gear, and the range of stuff i have. i don't think the Kawai's, or Casio will be part of my permanent equipment. but i'll wheel them in if i need something specific.

the Casio's waveform Phase modulation was a unique source generator that never became that popular. while it makes some extraordinary noises you can't find anywhere else, it's also a source of endless cheesy sounds as well :) there was a rack mount CZ that i considered getting just so i could have that sound without the space the keyboard took up. but you lose the ease of programming that way as well, which you HAVE TO HAVE with a CZ.

DECUS Member 368596

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:21 pm 

zahal wrote:
anybody got a spare tb-303 they don't mind parting with?

diggin' the detroit funk z?

i might still have one with a broken knob, gotta check

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 pm 

I only have couple Ensoniq EPS-16+ synths, keyboard and rack model. Both have expanded memory, but no SCSI on either one.

Excellent synths, great effects and I really like how they sound.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm 

theinonen wrote:
I only have couple Ensoniq EPS-16+ synths, keyboard and rack model. Both have expanded memory, but no SCSI on either one.

Excellent synths, great effects and I really like how they sound.

the EPS is much more useful with the SCSI interface+disk instead of doing the floppy shuffle for samples (that goes for all those keyboard's of the floppy ilk). trouble is that without fail every SCSI keyboard is still dog slow loading from SCSI. also, traversing hierarchical structures on a synth can be tedious at best. the fastest i have seems to be the kurzweil.

DECUS Member 368596

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next