Halloween

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Dubhthach

Re: Halloween

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:17 am

maxsleg wrote:interesting - Halloween seems to be a big deal (well very commercial) in the US, not so much here in Germany. In Scotland (when I was much younger) people would go 'guising' - the Jock version of trick or treating...

Indeed well Halloween is of Irish/Scottish (we could say "celtic") origin. Was brought to America by immigrants in 19th century and then evolved there in it's own way. But most of it originates in traditions of Ireland and Scotland. Trick or Treating/Guising been the prime example. There are records back to 5th century here in Ireland of that.
Of course it's because it's the night the dead are allowed to walk the world of living. Best to be in disguise as one of the dead if ye out on such a night. Or so the logic goes...
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 am

Dubhthach wrote:Indeed well Halloween is of Irish/Scottish (we could say "celtic") origin. Was brought to America by immigrants in 19th century and then evolved there in it's own way. But most of it originates in traditions of Ireland and Scotland. Trick or Treating/Guising been the prime example. There are records back to 5th century here in Ireland of that.
Of course it's because it's the night the dead are allowed to walk the world of living. Best to be in disguise as one of the dead if ye out on such a night. Or so the logic goes...

it's the great potato charlie brown!!!
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:13 am

Halloween 2008.jpg

Some law school friends and I:

Me on the left in a poor-man's Indiana Jones costume.

Jeremy in the center as a fisherman for some reason.

Jason on the right in his authentic, complete air force flight suit with inflatable vest and leggings, harnesses, emergency beacons, helmet, mask, gloves, boots, etc. About $2,000 for the whole thing. Finally, someone with an obsession to rival my SGI habit!
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Return to “Everything Else”