What's your network bandwidth?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
BrentDMartin

What's your network bandwidth?

Unread postby BrentDMartin » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:56 am

Code: Select all

Besides IQ, I was wondering what sort of bandwidth all the Nekochanners had.  I have COMCAST cable modem and at one time it was about 6000 Kbps, according to an online test, and then one day it jumped up to 18000 Kbps by the same test.   It's the SpeedTest at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

I'm running it right now, connecting to Atlanta, the nearest big city to Huntsville that has a speakeasy server on the list. (Seattle used to be the slowest, still is pretty slow!)

It says 14249 kbps download speed, 416 kbps upload speed, for Atlanta.
It says 14410 kbps download speed, 416 kbps upload speed, for Atlanta.
It says 13792 kbps download speed, 418 kbps upload speed, for Atlanta.
It says   4898 kbps download speed, 412 kbps upload speed, for Seattle.
It says   5175 kbps download speed, 412 kbps upload speed, for San Francisco.
It says   5669 kbps download speed, 412 kbps upload speed, for Los Angeles.
It says   8581 kbps download speed, 407 kbps upload speed, for Dallas.
It says   8922 kbps download speed, 415 kbps upload speed, for Dallas.
It says   4898 kbps download speed, 412 kbps upload speed, for Chicago.
It says   9441 kbps download speed, 417 kbps upload speed, for New York City, NY.
It says   9511 kbps download speed, 414 kbps upload speed, for Washington, DC.

That's considerably improved from what it has been up until a recent upgrade. I used to get numbers < 6000 kbps download, and 358 kbps upload, fairly consistently. It looks like COMCAST made some good improvements, or else all these numbers are bogus and don't mean a thing?

This could be like those IQ tests where they tell you how smart you are and then offer to sell you a more detailed breakdown of your test results. I wonder if anyone actually would believe their results. They tell me I'm a genius. Gee, what's not to like? lol I've been telling people that all my life! I don't need to take a test to prove it.

Anyway, I've been involved in some discussion about intelligence at other groups and the subject can be rather interesting and get rather heated, but it's probably off topic for this thread.

Anyone else have any other ways of measuring network bandwidth? I am wondering if this speakeasy speedtest is just telling me what COMCAST wants me to think about my bandwidth, or if it's an accurate measure. Does it only work fast on the speedtest and not at other times? I remember some old graphics cards that were tuned to run well on particular benchmarks and even had tests in the code to make the test run faster, like knowing the answers to the popquiz in advance.

Perhaps this should be on a new thread. I'll move it to a new thread.
It can only be attributable to human error ...

kshuff

Re: What's your network bandwidth?

Unread postby kshuff » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:05 am

I'm on Verizon DSL, my results are not that impressive...

Last Result:
Download Speed: 741 kbps (92.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 135 kbps (16.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<

anotheradamdickson

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:49 am

kshuff wrote:I'm on Verizon DSL, my results are not that impressive...

Last Result:

There was a recent poll that came out by the a US Telecom Union and the US has the slowest access of the G7 countries. Japan averages download speed of 67 Mbps for the same adjusted price, and for the average user

The national average for the states combined is just under 2Mpbs for broadband, next up is Canada where the average is 8-9 Mpbs (somewhere around there). Even allot of Northern countries in Europe are getting near 20Mpbs for the average home broadband connection. After that there's a large jump to the rest of the G7 counties in Europe/Asia

However the population density makes it much easier to have fiber/DSL2 everywhere and still make money/breakeven

The Union is suggesting that a National 'Universal Access' style plan be implemented for broadband IP connectivity. Their hoping for 10Mpbs across the board by 2010, the sore spot is even where it makes sense to have high bandwidth fiber to the last mile and DSL2 or coax to the home the connection companies are still metering Internet/broadband bandwidth like liquid gold. Only some Verizon plants are bucking the trend it seems. America is sitting by and watching whilst it's citizens are becoming 2nd class connected broadband users on the world stage, and doing this while most of the world is busy *finishing* their 2nd generation DSL2/cable installations/plants

They also worry about the latest trend with IP2 and heavy government control & censorship that seems to be happening in the states

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:08 pm

1000/360 comcast cable.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:30 pm

kshuff wrote:I'm on Verizon DSL, my results are not that impressive...

Last Result:
If you are using their basic plan, that's not so bad.

Here is my Verizon speed ("Pro" Plan, wireless, via an 802.11b router):

Download Speed: 2481 kbps (310.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 415 kbps (51.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Here is my Comcast speed (wireless, via an 802.11g router):

Download Speed: 17704 kbps (2213 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 365 kbps (45.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

milatchi

Unread postby milatchi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Comcast:
d/l: Up to 6Mbps (last time I tested it was about 5.7)
u/l: Think it was 512kbps. They may have upped it to 768 though.
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:57 pm

I use my mind to access the Net.
No wonder I have a headache :mrgreen:

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:21 pm

My connection is 24MB down and 1 up although thats a best case when you are living close to the telco station.
My actual down is 9MB.
Mein Führer, I can walk!

anotheradamdickson

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:05 pm

deBug wrote:My connection is 24MB down and 1 up although thats a best case when you are living close to the telco station.
My actual down is 9MB.

What are you using, DMT (common 1.5 gen DSL) tops out at 8128 when ideal conditions are met and there's a good margin (20/30Db+). Has your area rolled out HDSL2+ style circuits or are you 'real' broadband with a cable modem ??. Verizon is doing a DOCSIS ver.2+ (spelling?) cable modem rollout, but are these replacing the existing DSL loops ??? I know it's only in a test market for a new level of service, so maybe they are pulling loops - anybody know ????

What country are you in ?

I used to have 5M Down/650K Up when I had DSL. Hopefully my connection point (through wireless) will be getting cable modem soon and then it will be 10M down and 1M up. I also thought that was pretty good until I looked at the average Europe/Asia user speeds. It made my cry ... sniff.sniff. I still can get over 67Mps average down for Japan users, 40something Mbp/s for Korea (well south at least, I think north is still can + string for most 'users')

In Canada, well Ontario it started out pretty crummy with normal 'good' DSL going for $40 a month (CDN$ - at that time around 30 $USD) for 1.5Mpbs, $70 for 3Mpbs (5 years ago). But the cable companies and Bell Canada have been competing for users and in a few short years cable now has 10Mpbs down, and Bell/DSL has 5Mpbs down for the 'average' connections. Most users can get 5Mpbs using DMT for their DSL connection if their within a few blocks of the DSLAM, I installed a complete DSL network (ebay ROCKS !) in school-Campus which had new wires run to each room, some loops would have trouble getting 3M down because of wire impairments and this was stardard telecordia speced wire. It seemed to make *much* less difference then a few thousand feet. Oddly the 'old' DSL encoding (CAP) seemed to preform much better and have a higher upstream max, but it had IP that wasn't open so it was another strike against it (but CAP was first) and was replaced with DMT quickly. DMT only was comparing with interleaving at the max which gave 32MS of overhead *just* from the DSL modem to the DSLAM (think DSL 'hub' or switch)

Filesharing is a bitch though, I thought ISP's had it rough - then I started being a provider for 200 College students. I felt like such a IP-NAZI but I had to limit P2P. We had 200 kids on a 5M DSL connection, and a 10M cable modem. Because of one of Linux's/OS's killer apps (squid caching) are internet access for web pages was _still_ faster then connecting a computer directly to the cable modem. Squid is amazing, we had a 90-100:1 bandwidth savings

The worst part of DSL+ nextgen protocols is that most Teleco's went with the most popular NetSpeed/Cisco 6100 DSLAM's and they have huge blocking problems at the backplane/controller level. Most of those handle 256 customers with only one ATM T3, or the later modeled' OC3's. But still not enough bandwidth for the future, and gets even worse when you put the DSLAM backtoback/subtended them

jgilje

Unread postby jgilje » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 pm

25Mbit down, 15Mbit up. For most large sites in Europe, I get full speed.

anotheradamdickson

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:47 pm

jgilje wrote:25Mbit down, 15Mbit up. For most large sites in Europe, I get full speed.

Man, that's amazing. Where art thou located ? (roughly/countrywise)

What do you pay a month in converted to $USD funny money

jgilje

Unread postby jgilje » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:35 am

anotheradamdickson wrote:Man, that's amazing. Where art thou located ? (roughly/countrywise)

What do you pay a month in converted to $USD funny money

I'm in Stavanger, Norway. A local power company decided to start offering internet service via fibre about six years ago. I pay about $120/month.

choza

Unread postby choza » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 am

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1451 kbps (181.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 199 kbps (24.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
i'll look how much are we paying.. it would be interesting to hear about other rates

Alver

Unread postby Alver » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:46 am

20Mbit down, 512Kbit up. Not too spectacular (especially not the upload) but good enough :) from the belgian backbone mirrors I can get my updates at 2MB/sec sustained, so I don't complain.
while (!asleep()) sheep++;

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:09 am

I'm on Verizon DSL and I'm seeing 2960kbps down, 725kbps up. I pay $39 a month.

I'm on the waiting list for Verizon FIOS, which would be 20mbps down 1mbps up, @ $35 a month in my area!

Return to “Everything Else”