Jet sims!

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Frapazoid

Jet sims!

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:49 am

So I have this game, Jane's F-15E Simulator, and I love it, except it doesn't work on my computer anymore :?

Doesn't wanna run in Windows 2000 :cry: And I have no idea what to do. I'm getting a copy of Windows 98 in a few days, maybe that'll work, but if not, are there any games like that on the market?

Basically I'm looking for a totally, completely realistic modern jet combat simulator. This game I'm looking to replace has been described as "focuses more on realism than fun factor". That kind of realistic, where it can get non-gamey. Attention to detail is paramount.

Is anybody making something like that these days? All I want is something like that, still supported by the company.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

choza

Unread postby choza » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 am

there is one supposed to keep the realistic side in detail, not tryed it because of no free time
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force

hamei

Re: Jet sims!

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:20 am

Frapazoid wrote:Basically I'm looking for a totally, completely realistic modern jet combat simulator. This game I'm looking to replace has been described as "focuses more on realism than fun factor". That kind of realistic, where it can get non-gamey. Attention to detail is paramount.

Is anybody making something like that these days? All I want is something like that, still supported by the company.

Flightgear, maybe ? Or is it the combat part you were more interested in ? You could always buzz sheep :P

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 am

Falcon is a game that has developed a hardcore cult following. People build simulated cockpits for it.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

dj

Unread postby dj » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:41 am

Frapazoid wrote:Basically I'm looking for a totally, completely realistic modern jet combat simulator.

Check this one out: http://www.lo-mac.com/screenshots.php

Don't know much about it, but I played it's previous incarnation "flanker" a couple of times. That game was super-cool, a russian su-27 sim that was supposedly quite realistic, and had very nice graphics too, complete with cyrillic labeling on all the instruments.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:30 pm

dj wrote:Check this one out: http://www.lo-mac.com/screenshots.php

A-10!!! I love A-10s. Dogfighting with an A-10 would be the coolest thing ever.

I have a game on my Nintendo called Aerofighters Assult that lets me do that, but it's about as realistic as Star Fox or a typical Star Wars game. It doesn't even model wind, air or gravity :? You just sorta zoom around, and there's the ground, and some hard-coded limits on how high you can go, etc.

Falcon 4.0, maybe. I'll fetch the demo tommarow. It's an F-16 sim apparently, and F-16s look gay :(

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm

Frapazoid wrote:Falcon 4.0, maybe. I'll fetch the demo tommarow. It's an F-16 sim apparently, and F-16s look gay :(

You must have taken a big whiff of something. Not only is the F-16 one of the coolest looking aircraft of all time (The single engine design helps it look better, than, say, an F-18 ), Falcon is considered one of the best flight sims ever, although I haven't played it since ver 2.0 on a 386.

And while I love A-10s, they're certainly not attractive planes. But then, they're not gay looking, either.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 pm

Actually the F-18 is the only other one I don't really like, but the F-16 just annoys the heck out of me.

*shrugs* I'll try it out tommarow. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I tried to get Jane's Longbow 2 to install and run, thinking maybe I could get a quick fix with a helicopter sim, but it wouldn't run either :evil: Til I have money to blow on a new flight game, next I'm gonna see if I can get Windows 98 to go, and if not, DOS 6.22 so I can install my HIND sim.

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Why DOS 6.22? Use DOS 7 so you have support for things like FAT32.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Cause it's more retro that way :)

Plus it actually says "Starting MS-DOS" and not "Starting Windows 95" or any of that gayness, where it says it's starting Windows then gives you a DOS prompt.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:21 pm

If you like A-10's (as I do) and realism, you absolutely must check out A-10 Cuba. It's a bit older, circa 1997-ish, and strictly flat-polygon shaded graphics, but is to this date one of the most realistic flying experiences you can get on the PC. Eric Parsons, the lead programmer, has a great track record in combat flight sims, and his attention to detail is incredible. You can lose half a wing and feel the difference in flight characteristics. You can land hard and bend individual pieces of landing gear. You can set the cannon-rate on high and feel the recoil slowing you down as you blast depleted-uranium rounds into a helpless tank column. The physics model is incredible and just "feels" right, and I say that as a licensed pilot.

The missions have you doing everything from flying through narrow canyons to dropping laser-guided bombs on ammo dumps to attacking warships with Maverick missiles. The terrain is filled with detailed geographics features and cities, right down to the cars on the streets. And the frame-rate is ridiculously high on modern computers. If you can live without photorealistic graphics and five-channel surround sound, this game will keep you VERY entertained :)

I've run it on Windows 95, 98 and 2000, so you should be fine in terms of compatibility.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Frapazoid wrote:Actually the F-18 is the only other one I don't really like ...

Really ? I kind of agree that the F-16 should have been named the "Fighting Fairy" but the F-18 looks not so bad.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:11 am

A-10 Cuba sounds absolutely great, I'm going to check it out today after my workstuffs. That's definately the sort of thing I want.

without photorealistic graphics and five-channel surround sound

The F-15 game I'm whining about has software rendering, and at the moment I'm playing Pilotwings64 to fill the void, so no I'm not worried :)

My top gaming computer - still my PC - has an old GeForce2 so something REALLY new probably wouldn't go anyway.

(My new Mac has an Intel graphics chip that is slightly slower and has no hardware T&L :?)

hamei wrote:
Frapazoid wrote:Actually the F-18 is the only other one I don't really like ...

Really ? I kind of agree that the F-16 should have been named the "Fighting Fairy"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

but the F-18 looks not so bad.

Not really bad, just kinda blah. Unmemorable, overly generic.

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm trying to figure out this A-10 game. The help files don't open...

I think I might've had something almost exactly like this, way back int he day when I was a kid I had a 386 with a game called A-10 Thunderbolt II :?

edit: This game is BEAUTIFUL.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Frapazoid wrote:I'm trying to figure out this A-10 game. The help files don't open...

I think I might've had something almost exactly like this, way back int he day when I was a kid I had a 386 with a game called A-10 Thunderbolt II :?

Ok, here are the basics:

Engine: +/- increases and decreases throttle. Also press + to start the engine, and at zero% throttle press - to shutdown.
Flaps: f lowers a notch, d raises a notch.
Gear: g
Wheelbrakes/Airbrakes: Spacebar (hold)
Rudder: , and . ( / to center )
Views: 1 - forward, 2 - instruments, 3 - external, 4 - friendly, 5 - enemy, 6 - tower, 7 - weapon
View Orbit: arrow keys
View Zoom: Shift-uparrow and Shift-downarrow
HUD Modes: 9 and 0. Press 0 to activate the HUD if it's off.
Weapons Arm: m
Cannon Rate: c
Autopilot: a
Tacan: t
Waypoint: w
Stability System: s
Fire Extinguishers: z and x
ECM Jammer: e
Time compression: Alt-T
Damage report: d

You fire the cannon by pressing Backspace. "c" toggles fire rate high and low. Weapons are attached to individual stations which must be enabled by pressing the F1-F11 keys. The instrument view (2) will show which stations are activated. When multiple stations are activated your HUD will indicate the current weapon. F12 deactivates all stations.

So let's say you want to fire a sidewinder. Make sure your HUD is on (0). Then turn the "safety" off by pressing m. Then enable the weapon station (typically F1 for sidewinders). Enter or Joystick2 then fires the weapon. The A-10 lacks an air-air radar, so you're going to have to listen to the audio tone for a lock with sidewinders.

The HUD modes are Navigation, Pavepenny (laser guided weapons) and CCIP (free-fall ordinance). In Navigation HUD mode, weapons release as soon as you press fire. In Pave mode a laser-designated target will show as a diamond in your HUD, and you'll press Tab to select it. You can release when the HUD says so. CCIP requires you to point at a spot on the ground and press Enter or Joy2, which then creates a diamond on the spot and automatically releases selected ordinance when you fly over it.

To fire HARM anti-radar missiles, look for radial lines on the center radar indicator. When you're being tracked, a line will point in the direction of the signal, and its length will indicate signal strength. Press "h" to pick a signal, then activate the weapon station with the HARM attached and point in the direction of the signal. Fire when in range.

Maverick air-ground electro-optic missiles will show a TV image on your right side display. Press Shift-UpArrow and Shift-DownArrow to zoom. Line the crosshairs up with a ground target and fire - the weapon's optical guidance system guides it to the target.

There are some other keys and functions but those are the basics. The A-10 allows you to "program" ordinance release with Ripple mode, where you can fire several weapons at a time. These controls are to the lower-left of the instrument panel.

Also, holding the "Ctrl" key in the cockpit lets you use the mouse to push buttons on the instrument panel. Useful for any key commands I'm forgetting.

Have fun! Try the landing practice mission - sets you up in mid-air with a few friendly A-10's to blow out of the sky. The Cuba environment is so detailed you can spend hours flying around it. Parsons really outdid himself on this game.

Return to “Everything Else”