fleaBay gets more fucked up by the day :(

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
regan_russell

yup. fleabay is pretty messed up..

Unread postby regan_russell » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:24 pm

yup. fleabay is pretty messed up..
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Life-for-Sal ... dZViewItem

I like some of the local alternatives like reposcession auctions.

ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:11 pm

nekonoko wrote:Absolutely. That's why I don't even bother to put in a regular bid anymore - I snipe everything using JBidWatcher. Only way to get bargains on eBay these days.

Obligitory "me too." I use a Ruby program and an INI-style file to do it.

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm

hamei wrote:
dc_v01 wrote:Sniping can often actually keep the price down...

But the problem here is not sniping. It's concealing the identities of bidders. In real-life auctions this is illegal (the "phantom bidder" syndrome.) On the Internet it's a VIP guest invitation for shills. This action just screams "abuse me ! abuse me !"

Agree 100% on that part!

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:19 pm

nekonoko wrote:
dc_v01 wrote:Sniping can often actually keep the price down...

Absolutely. That's why I don't even bother to put in a regular bid anymore - I snipe everything using JBidWatcher. Only way to get bargains on eBay these days.

Hmmm, I'm using a method called "Manual Snipe". Unfortunately it's a sure way to lose lots of auctions. Or fortunately. I figure I'd be really screwed, budget wise, if I actually learned to do this properly and bid on all the auctions that I was convinced I would. It's a kind of "dedication filter."

But man, looking back on the stuff I missed simply because I didn't get in a bid....worst is when you get in a bidding war a week later, after you missed it the first time and it closed with no bids!

digitalpioneer

Unread postby digitalpioneer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 pm

hamei wrote:But the problem here is not sniping. It's concealing the identities of bidders. In real-life auctions this is illegal (the "phantom bidder" syndrome.) On the Internet it's a VIP guest invitation for shills. This action just screams "abuse me ! abuse me !"

I watched a Sun Ultra 40 workstation auction recently progress through its course
You be the judge - Is bidder 1 a shill?
.... I think so, but I suppose I could be wrong.

@neko & uni-m: jBidWatcher rocks . . . except when fleabay changes things and breaks it. :cry:

------

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:53 pm

digitalpioneer wrote:I watched a Sun Ultra 40 workstation auction recently progress through its course
You be the judge - Is bidder 1 a shill?
.... I think so, but I suppose I could be wrong.
Could be wrong, BUT, Bidder 1, a 0 feedback out of the woods just for this auction, nicely, slowly carefully reaches (but not exceed, not even by $0.01) the plausible other guy's limit... We've seen that before many times (remember the almost comical O2+ saga on ebay a couple years back?), but ebay has now made it very easy for this to happen... And as the asses are being paid based on the final price, no wonder they make it harder for astute ebayers to smell bad practices... How can you complain, and more importantly how can you argue when you have no more ammo than "I think Bidder 1 is screwing me"... And on top of this ebay has increased their prices by an "imperceptible" 10% across the board... What more to ask for? :-D

digitalpioneer wrote:@neko & uni-m: jBidWatcher rocks . . . except when fleabay changes things and breaks it. :cry:
Yep, java-based makes it easy to snipe from anything, even IRIX!

Return to “Everything Else”