fleaBay gets more fucked up by the day :(

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
hamei

fleaBay gets more fucked up by the day :(

Unread postby hamei » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:45 am

Code: Select all

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

There goes one more way to monitor the honesty of an auction. Stinking bastards :-(

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am

:evil:
I already have enough trouble with snipers.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:15 pm

and it may cut down on targeted phishing emails.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:40 pm

zizban wrote:and it may cut down on targeted phishing emails.

Bullshit. No one uses their mail address as a user name on fleabay and fleabay guards user info with its life. The only way you could get any of that info was to jump thru hoops "asking seller a question" then ask the seller (or buyer) himself for their email addy. This is strictly intended to cut off channels for off-fleabay sales. Coincidentally, it reduces a person's chances of keeping track of the honesty of auctions to absolutely zero.

If Jack Ma and Taobao ever come to the US, fleabay is toast. Taobao already ran the greedy scum-sucking bastards out of China.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:46 pm

How do you really feel? :P

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:34 am

Ebay has just made it better for the crooks, scam artists and low life's to keep them frothing at the mouth and at the same time harder for the honest people who use ebay.......Both ebay and a seller fucked me BIGGG time a couple years ago. Ebay caters to sellers since they are the ones who pay ebay fees.

BTW ebay doesn't seem very consistent with this newest policy either..............why am I not surprised.........either that or it will take some time to implement hiding bidders names. I have seen auctions with bids placed yesterday and the bidders names are still being posted.

Ah well .................just one more reason for me to cut back from ebay even more. Thanks to ebay for fucking it up more than it was before.

Richard

Timberoz

Steath Bids.

Unread postby Timberoz » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:31 am

Why do people get so upset about snipers?

Everyone can use the service.... At the end of the day the person with the highest still bid wins.

Timberoz>Craig

VenomousPinecone

Re: Steath Bids.

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 am

Timberoz wrote:Why do people get so upset about snipers?

Everyone can use the service.... At the end of the day the person with the highest still bid wins.

Timberoz>Craig

Seriously. If you place a proxy bid, for the highest amount you would possibly pay for the item, and you lose. I think that should tell you that someone else wanted it more.

"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publilius Syrus

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:40 am

I have bid on one item that was ending in less than 60 seconds. In the last five seconds about ten bids came in and blasted the price of an early optical mouse pad from a reasonable $10 to an insane $72.52.
Who bid?
Me and two other people who sniped me.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 am

pentium wrote:

I have bid on one item that was ending in less than 60 seconds. In the last five seconds about ten bids came in and blasted the price of an early optical mouse pad from a reasonable $10 to an insane $72.52.
Who bid?

sheesh.

Although I can't understand why people are against sniping. It's a matter of bidding the highest you're willing to pay. It doesn't matter when you do it, in my eyes.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:49 pm

MisterDNA wrote:
pentium wrote:

Who bid?

sheesh.

Although I can't understand why people are against sniping. It's a matter of bidding the highest you're willing to pay. It doesn't matter when you do it, in my eyes.

Yep. Hey, if they want to pay 72 dollars for a mousepad, let them. Apparently 72 was reasonable, for them.

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm

pentium wrote:

Who bid?

What are you complaining about again? That they didn't put their bids in earlier, that the guy who lost didn't have time to contemplate his losing $72 bid, and think maybe he needed to put in a bit more, resulting in a bidding war pushing it up to $126.02?

Sniping can often actually keep the price down...

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:20 pm

dc_v01 wrote:Sniping can often actually keep the price down...

Absolutely. That's why I don't even bother to put in a regular bid anymore - I snipe everything using JBidWatcher. Only way to get bargains on eBay these days.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:16 pm

But the problem here is not sniping. It's concealing the identities of bidders. In real-life auctions this is illegal (the "phantom bidder" syndrome.) On the Internet it's a VIP guest invitation for shills. This action just screams "abuse me ! abuse me !"

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 pm

nekonoko wrote:

Absolutely. That's why I don't even bother to put in a regular bid anymore - I snipe everything using JBidWatcher. Only way to get bargains on eBay these days.
Same here, except for Buy It Now obviously...

Return to “Everything Else”