Our favorite PDAs...

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:01 pm

CDG wrote: hamei: A lot of people don't like CDMA, even increasingly so in the USA. Despite this, Verizon remains one of the best networks for extremely rural areas. Wickenburg (my town) has good coverage since about 1.5 years ago when a new tower was erected from Cingular, but you head out to Tonopaugh/Arlington area, or towards Aguila or Salome, and you've got nothing if you don't have a Verizon CDMA phone. Even still, if you're in a particularly mountainous stretch, you'll get nothing.

I'm sure China has similar problems towards the west and away from the more densely populated coast? :)

Actually, the situation is the opposite here. CDMA is China Unicom, a private (?) phone company. GSM is China Telecom, the national phone company which has much better service and lower costs. The China Unicom counter girls are possibly prettier, tho.

Out towards the west and away from the densely populated coasts (by chinese standards - Guangxi and Shaanxi have probably ten times the density of California, for example) China still has good cellular phone service. Peasants need their phones, too. They also have fiber-optic cable connections. China is in the somewhat-enviable position of not having a big legacy investment in POTS so they could go direct to the newer technologies. I just wish all the peasants in the world didn't have cell phones which they scream into at great length everywhere they go. Everywhere. There was one talking to his girlfriend from the grunter in Kunshan's big building last night - I could hear him all the way across the store. Many people don't need CDMA or even phones, for that matter. Even five year olds have really powerful lungs in Kunshan.
Last edited by hamei on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDG

Unread postby CDG » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:04 am

So not to drag this too far off topic, does China have much of what you could call a wilderness? I mean there are places within my reach here that are either long abandoned, or never were inhabited in the first place. Forgive my ignorance of China's terrain, but I was under the impression that some of the far northern and western areas of China were still considered to be pretty friggn remote (more up my alley). I would call remote places that require high clearance vehicles (or horses) to get to, that are out of cellphone range, and more than 2 or 3 hours from the nearest police, fire, medical or rescue services. :)

Personally, my preferance is to the more wild and more remote areas of the U.S. Particularly our desert southwest. Relatively non-intrusive government out here (at least from the de facto standpoint), and nothing but miles and miles of dusty solitude. Mileage may vary, but I find the desert southwest here to be among the most peaceful and beautiful places in the country, if not in the world. Probably just a quirk of my personality, but to me, there's nothing like a long dirtbike ride in such remote places. :)

jirka
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jirka » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 am

jan-jaap wrote:Just received a Nokia 770 "Internet tablet" the other day. Seems like a cool gadget...

I have one, too. It's a very nice *nix machine - the "vi" editor is included by default and one can also install the TeX :D

It only lacks an on-board C compiler (but the Python environment can be used here) ;-)

dc_v01

Unread postby dc_v01 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 pm

CDG wrote:A lot of people don't like CDMA, even increasingly so in the USA.

???
The only people I know who don't like CDMA are those who travel regularly enough to Europe to want GSM to use the same phone. CDMA is inherently superior, has better coverage in the US, and I think even the next-gen European standard is CDMA based, but forgot the details.

zahal

Unread postby zahal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:12 pm

hamei wrote:Even five year olds have really powerful lungs in Kunshan.

By the time they're 18, the Marlboro cowboys will have taken good care of them lungs.

I've owned several Newtons, but I only keep my MP2100.
I'm not sure I'd pay for another "PDA", with smartphones being much more capable.
I've been thinking about a qtek s200/s110/9100 in case the iPhone turns out to be a dud.

The oqo is an abomination imho, I thought linus had shoved his transmeta where the sun don't shine long ago!
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX - Crossbeam C12

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:55 pm

Who remembers the motorola marco?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:24 am

zahal wrote: By the time they're 18, the Marlboro cowboys will have taken good care of them lungs.

Alas, only the good die young :-(

milatchi

Unread postby milatchi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:38 pm

I have a Newton MessagePad (Model Number H1000). It has a whopping 1MB Storage Card (PCMCIA). It's in good shape and I just use it for fun and nostalgia. I took it to a Psychology seminar once and someone beside me made the joke about it not being a PalmPilot, but an ArmPilot.
I found it funny. :D
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield

CDG

Unread postby CDG » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:20 am

Yeah, H1000 I think is the origional, or is it the MP100? Either way, it's similar to the Newton I had. It was useful for writing down assignments, although I replaced mine with my Toshiba e330 so I could get some multimedia and web browing functionality (I'm a sucker for gadgets).

As for CDMA, I don't think there's a massive backlash against it in the US, and I'm not sure of the details, but around college, a lot of people don't like Verizon's (is it Vcast?) MP3 download or whatever service. I guess my tone gave things the wrong impression.

In any case, as a cellular provider, Verizon is about it if you're going to travel in rural areas in the US. Cingular worked good in the PA/Jersey/Deleware area, but we quickly switched to Verizon upon comming to Arizona 5 years ago. I rarely upgrade my phones, so I never care much about the features, aside from the fact that Verizon give you free data service, so I can use my free 10 hour NetZero dialup account on the road from time to time when I use my cellphone link cable.

Bluefan

Unread postby Bluefan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:24 am

I recently bought a second hand toshiba e310. I hasn't got wifi or bluetooth, but it was cheap. I just use it as calendar, organiser, games and media player, and its really good for that.
:O2:Toika :O2:Myra :O2:Fiona :Octane:Lisa :Octane:Sandra :Indigo2:Danica :Indy:Giana :O200:Lara :O200: :O200:Iona :O2000:Aida

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:04 pm

That's my favorite PDA :-D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:07 pm

unixmuseum wrote:That's my favorite PDA :-D

I'm with ya there ;) I can't get into PDAs (of the gizmo variety) - too limited for my needs (I tried an iPAQ for a while). I much prefer a small laptop and/or pen and paper for notes on the go.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:50 pm

[Edit] Removed my inappropriate reply [/Edit]
Last edited by Oskar45 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

CDG

Unread postby CDG » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:35 pm

See, if my notes don't blink or beep at me, I forget the friggen note (either where I put it, or that I even have a note for anything) Hence why the PDA works for me around college. :D Only disadvantage to electronic notes, besides that they can crash or be lost if the battey dies (unlikely if you're careful about it), is that there is a certain learning curve to the handwriting recognition. Took me a good 3 weeks to be able to write down assignments and appointments in a timely manner.

bluefan: your e310 is similar to my e330. It's a good little PDA really, and has more than enough CPU to play reduced quality MPEG videos and good quality MP3s (through the headphone jack of course), although I haven't had time to investigate any games really. Solitaire is how I survived my math requirement for the College of Education (MAT 114). I'm no math whiz, but that class was Booooring... :)

digitalpioneer

Unread postby digitalpioneer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Geez Uni-m, just because you didn't want to relate your history of electronic gizmo's with us, doesn't mean you can shock us like that. If you wanted to go off-topic you could have tried something tame like.... football?

----

Return to “Everything Else”