Spoken Languages

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Dubhthach

Spoken Languages

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 am

Inspired by "Odd Languages" thread, i thought i start thread regarding what languages that Nekochan members can speak.

Myself: English and Irish (though it's sorta rusty from non-usage).

i recall doing french in school but it's all abit hazy now!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:42 am

English.

Trying to learn Polish.

A while back I had some dorky obsession with Icelandic.

Er Isbjornarindrottininn!

...That and some profanities is about as far as it goes.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:01 am

Mostly English, French, Dutch, German, Polish, Afghan Persian. Was trained in Latin, Ancient Greek and will now receive training in (oddly enough) Middle Dutch. Also a few other languages to a lesser degree, like Armenian, understand a bit of Hindi and some Welsh... (man, did I have too much time on my hands in life or what? :P) Can read, but not speak yet, Rheto-Romance as well.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

regan_russell

Unread postby regan_russell » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:35 am

Interesting... From above... Europeans speak European and Middle Eastern languages.

Myself: Japanese, some Hokkien, Mandarin, Cantonese, small amounts of obsecure Chinese dialects, French fairly well, Slovak, small amounts of German and dialects, a little Svenka, Eesti and Suomi ...mostly from women I have dated. :oops:

I can say "I love you" and "strawberries and cream" in Danish.

I was on a Ibeza/JAL flight, Madrid to Amsterdam and these middle aged Japanese women were anonying everyone, I said something Japanese in an extremely Japanese way and they immediately shut up and learnt their place. It was extremely funny to me and frightening/shocking to them, especially comming from a filthy gaijin. Did they get polite after that, I can tell you. I still think it was funny and that was years ago.

It is always cool to say "excuse me" in their own language as you push past mature women discussing their womens problems on the subway.

Still trying to sound like Yukuuza and Triad. I know all the tough and bad words ;-)

Regan.
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

tgc99

Unread postby tgc99 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 am

Danish and English and ofcourse as a dane I can mostly understand Norwegian and Swedish in written and spoken form.

Rødgrød med Fløde anyone? ;)

-tgc

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am

tgc99 wrote:Danish and English and ofcourse as a dane I can mostly understand Norwegian and Swedish in written and spoken form.

-tgc

A møøse once bit my sister...
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

virtualsim

Unread postby virtualsim » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:21 pm

French and English fluently.
I can decipher written spanish, but not spoken. The opposite with Japanese (someday I'll learn the kanji).

I guess COBOL doesn't count?

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:26 pm

COBOL? That's a type of cabbage right? No, this thread isn't about food. Git back on topic!
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Lets see... I can read French, and can pronounce it very well. Unfortunately I havent used it in years, I fear that within a couple years I may lose the ability to speak it. I can speak some German, mostly just profanity and very basic conversational.

I still prefer Blinkengerman:

Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen und der me-tooen!

MisterDNA wrote:
tgc99 wrote:

-tgc

A møøse once bit my sister...

møøse bites kan be pretti nasti...

:lol:

TaoTeCheese

Unread postby TaoTeCheese » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Just english and a little japanese in my case...

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for hijacking this thread have been sacked.

Jodeman

Unread postby Jodeman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:10 am

Fluent
English, Taishanese

"I can get by but could be better":
French, Cantonese,

"I don't have any friends that speak it so I've forgotten a lot of what I learned":
Mandarin

A few phrases and words here and there:
Italian, Greek
---
Makes me laugh on The Amazing Race when people in a foreign country yell loudly in English... like that'll somehow make the person suddenly understand what they're saying.
Jodeman's SGI & Stuff
--
Unofficial unauthorized mirror sites
http://www.siliconbunny.com/mirrors/www ... m/jodeman/
http://www.oocities.com/hinv.geo/index.html (Backup of the Geocities site.)
http://www.reocities.com/SiliconValley/hills/3730/ (Another backup of my Geocities site.)
http://www.geocities.ws/hinv.geo/ (Another backup of my Geocities site.)

BetXen

Unread postby BetXen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:45 am

My mother tongue is french. I've learned german, latin and ancient greek, but... have quite forgotten everything.

As you can read, a can write and speak approximate english too. Have to learn it properly some days.

regards.

Raphaël
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques)
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:01 pm

Viennese, German, some English. Latin in school. Once upon a time a bit of Sanskrit and, at the university, Hindi [although by now I've forgotten almost everything]. Nowadays I try my mouth at Swahili to help me on my regular Africa trips...
C is opium for programmers.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:11 pm

Hakimoto wrote:Mostly English, French, Dutch, German, Polish, Afghan Persian. Was trained in Latin, Ancient Greek and will now receive training in (oddly enough) Middle Dutch. Also a few other languages to a lesser degree, like Armenian, understand a bit of Hindi and some Welsh... (man, did I have too much time on my hands in life or what? :P) Can read, but not speak yet, Rheto-Romance as well.

:shock: :shock: :shock: (jaw dropped down)

awesome :P and at least for german i can confirm it's perfect!

jhaddon

Unread postby jhaddon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm

I speak english. I learned extremely basic spanish and french in school, but through lack of practice have forgotten just about everything.

I would like to learn mandarin and irish

Return to “Everything Else”