Spoken Languages

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Ga53n

Unread postby Ga53n » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Fluently I am only able to speak German and English.
Had Russian in school, but forgot almost all of it. Would take me about 6 month to brush it up, if I would be forced to do it.
I also understand lower German quite well and am able to read it out, but day to day usage is missing.
I would like to learn some Nordic language, like Danish or Swedish, maybe I get to it some day if I am planning to move somewhere north.
---

it's a means to an end

johnsmith

Unread postby johnsmith » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:47 am

English and French fluently, Arabic badly. It's fun to be able to write a non-European alphabet though.

I've only worked out how to use Irix in English.

gcb

Unread postby gcb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Hakimoto wrote:Mostly English, French, Dutch, German, Polish, Afghan Persian. Was trained in Latin, Ancient Greek and will now receive training in (oddly enough) Middle Dutch. Also a few other languages to a lesser degree, like Armenian, understand a bit of Hindi and some Welsh... (man, did I have too much time on my hands in life or what? :P) Can read, but not speak yet, Rheto-Romance as well.

i tought you were japanese? maybe cus of the nick/name?

but hell, i'm envious :)

gcb

Unread postby gcb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:53 pm

MisterDNA wrote:A møøse once bit my sister...

aEUhaeuhhuaeehuauhaaeh exelent timing

My 1st language is Portuguese (brazillian port, not that thing with lots of weirdly placed Cs they talk in europe :)

I also speak english. On the "learning" section is French and italian (and thanks to my granpa, i'm fluent in cursing in italian)

I also learned some japanese (1yr of classes + some japanese girlfriends)

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:58 pm

gcb wrote:i tought you were japanese? maybe cus of the nick/name?

but hell, i'm envious :)

gcb, no, i'm half afghan, half polish, born originally in Bavaria, F.R.G. . :D

Just have to keep at it all the time, and you'll start accumulating languages. :)
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:11 am

Fluent in English, reasonable at speaking in French.
Also fluent in Serbian which means I can also converse (and read/write) in Croatian and Bosnian (since the 3 languages used to be called Serbo-Croat before the breakup of Yugoslavia).

Can say a word or two in a bunch of European languages (mostly related to drink. :wink: )

Nik.

barutanseijin

Unread postby barutanseijin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:28 am

I'm at home in Japanese and English. I speak French, but I'm neither comfortable nor eloquent. Still, I sometimes amaze myself with the things I can get done in French (call a tow truck, deal with the kids' teachers, plumbers, Regie de this or that bureaucrats...) I'm more at home with the written language. I read German with a dictionary by my side and do a little bit in basic conversation in either regular German or Yiddish. I also know a little basic Italian and Spanish (all the dirty words -- learned in the schoolyard). I can read a classical Chinese, too, but no one speaks that.

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:28 am

Funny how many Nekochaners are at home in all kinds of East Asian languages - seems like playing with SGI is tantamount to some sort of mysticm :-) On the other hand, no African languages have been mentioned so far [with the exception of Arabic - but that's not genuine African anyway]. So, anyone else tries Swahili [sort of lingua franca in major parts of East/Southern Africa]?
Honorable member of the International Procrastinator's Society

BSDero

Unread postby BSDero » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:41 pm

well, I speak spanish all day.. of course! ;)

I'm trying to learn english, right now I can read it at 100% but I need more practice, my pronuntiation is really bad... but just enough to go and drink some beers with all that blonde american girls that come to mexican beaches in winter and summer!!!

:twisted: :wink: :P
__Zacatito__Image 600 MHZ R14000; 17GBytes HD
__Nopalito__Image 200 MHZ R5000; 9GBytes HD
Guadalajara, Jal and Aguascalientes, Ags
Mexico

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:44 pm

I used to obsess about langauges, all the time, I would go down to the local library and just grab books on various languages and read them to entertain myself. Swedish, Icelandic, Japanese, etc.

I have a huge Kanji dictionary but it's at my parent's house in South Carolina :(

Once I did try to learn a little Swahili, because one of the bands I listen to (Zap Mama) has some lyrics in Swahili. That was actually the first concert I ever went to, and the second concert I went to was Sigur Ros here in Poland - They're Icelandic.

I rented the Swahili book when I lived in Georgia, and I remember all the women working there were black, and when I went up to the counter to check out the book on Swahili a bunch of them burst out laughing :?

But I've never had the attention span to really sit down and grind on one language enough to get anything useful out of it :roll:

My mom has her degree in linguistics. She knows a lot of French but has learned some Arabic, Hebrew and a very little bit of Nama or Xhosa or one of those African click languages, I can't remember which one.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 am

BSDero wrote:well, I speak spanish all day.. of course! ;)

I'm trying to learn english, right now I can read it at 100% but I need more practice, my pronuntiation is really bad... but just enough to go and drink some beers with all that blonde american girls that come to mexican beaches in winter and summer!!!

:twisted: :wink: :P

If you can understand drunk people speaking english, while you yourself have drink taken, then you're not doing too bad :wink: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

DraconianTimes

Linguaphone offer

Unread postby DraconianTimes » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:06 am

My wife & I have been looking at various options for learning Arabic (we feel in love with it whilst on holiday in Jordan earlier this year). We had seen some evening courses being offered at our local college but they were very short and also conflicted with some of our other committments, so we started looking at alternatives.

Today I happened to visit the Linguaphone UK site. They do complete courses from beginner to intermediate (written & spoken). The courses are normally around £280, but I stumbled on a link to a special offer part of the site for Daily Mail readers which gives £180 off the normal price!

http://www.linguaphone.co.uk/mail/

So we have ordered the Arabic Complete for £100+£2.99 S&H. I am not attached/affiliated to Linguaphone in any way and have not had one of their courses before, just thought some of you might appreciate the heads up on a 64% discount if you fancy trying another language!! =)

We're going to rip the CDs onto our iPods to listen to on the way to/from work each day. :twisted:

Nick

Frapazoid

Unread postby Frapazoid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:43 am

I have the damnedest time learning from those tapes, I dunno why.

But if I make use of a word, I never forget it. I made biscuits once and had to go to the store to get some supplies, and I'll never forget that Maslanka is Buttermilk (sorta) and Smalec is lard.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"

Return to “Everything Else”